Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Patriotic Table Runner (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/patriotic-table-runner-t148499.html)

Sewfine 08-28-2011 07:54 AM

4 Attachment(s)
this is a 68" x 20" patriotic table runner. I used the sawtooth block with hopes of improving my points before I make my grandson quilt. My points never come out right. I am open for suggestions. Thanks for looking.

Full view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247967[/ATTACH]

Close up view
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247968[/ATTACH]

Another close up view with the backing
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247969[/ATTACH]

Close up embroidery
[ATTACH=CONFIG]247974[/ATTACH]

0tis 08-28-2011 07:58 AM

I didn't see anything wrong with your points - but I know that mine - sometimes I get hasty with that 1/4" seam allowance and dig right into those points - I chalk it up to being too excited and wanting to finish. I love this table runner - I think you are ready for the quilt now...

debcavan 08-28-2011 08:00 AM

It does look great.

I always blame point loss on seam allowance. I have a 1/8" thick piece of painter's tape (blue masking tape) to guide my seam and get a straight 1/4 inch seam. It helps me put the fabric in straight to start out and then continue straight. I use it at the nursing home and have legally blind people quilting with me.

belmer 08-28-2011 10:07 AM

Great job!

dhanke 08-28-2011 10:23 AM

Very nice runner! I find that I have better luck with points if I sew the borders on with the border fabric down, that way I can see where the seam crosses the points and can make minor "detour" corrections if necessary.

erstan947 08-28-2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by dhanke
Very nice runner! I find that I have better luck with points if I sew the borders on with the border fabric down, that way I can see where the seam crosses the points and can make minor "detour" corrections if necessary.

Thanks for this tip. I'm going to try this. Love this board:)

blueangel 08-28-2011 05:13 PM

Good job

Quiltinelaine 08-28-2011 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by debcavan
It does look great.

I always blame point loss on seam allowance. I have a 1/8" thick piece of painter's tape (blue masking tape) to guide my seam and get a straight 1/4 inch seam. It helps me put the fabric in straight to start out and then continue straight. I use it at the nursing home and have legally blind people quilting with me.

I put a piece of masking tape on my sewing machine to guide me is this about the same thing??? I have it marked at the 1/4 mark but sometimes I still lose the mark. If it was thicker I can see how this would work:: OHHH Thank You

Nettie Phillips 08-28-2011 05:33 PM

Pretty.

Quilted Horse 08-28-2011 05:47 PM

Looks pretty darn good to me. I also put the point I want to make perfect (ha) on top and adjust my seam as necessary to cross at the exact intersection. Sometimes these seams look like a drunk sewed them, but...the points are visible and once you flip and press, no one sees the sewn line. And don't be afraid to pick out a few stitches and re-sew if needed. Hope that makes sense.