Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   pattern error - which way to fix? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pattern-error-way-fix-t140296.html)

JanTx 07-25-2011 10:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm working on a pattern called Jelly Donuts. It should make a quilt 58 X 76. You make 40 simple blocks - the pattern says that several times: repeat steps to make 40 blocks, repeat to make 40 main blocks, set aside 34 of the main blocks - cut the remaining 6 blocks in half.... 40 blocks is very clear. HOWEVER, the placement diagram and the picture of the completed quilt shows 7 columns of 5 blocks each. 35 blocks. Nowhere does it say that you will have extra blocks - as the Yellow Brick Road pattern does.

So... options... abandon the extras as orphans. add one column at the end (these are vertical rows so the quilt would be 64 X 76 when finished. Or add one block to the end of each column - using 4 of the 5 leftover blocks and making the quilt 58 X 82. (With this option the odd columns would have half blocks at the top and bottom for a total of 6 blocks and the even columns would have 6 full blocks.

I was going to put a pic of the pattern, but I'm afraid that's a copyright infringement. You'll see a pic of the blocks laid out on my "design bed" with the extra blocks making an 8th column. As shown even rows are 5 full blocks; odd rows are 4 full blocks with a half block at the bottom and a space for another half block at the top.

LoriEl 07-25-2011 10:38 PM

It's coming out beautiful-batiks are so pretty!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 07-25-2011 10:47 PM

I would use the blocks in the quilt in whichever way made the quilt a size I liked.

LaurieJane 07-25-2011 10:55 PM

I found a picture of the Jelly Donut pattern online, and the picture looks like there are 34 blocks - 4 columns of 5 blocks (20), and 3 columns of 4 (12) for a total of 32 full size blocks. It looks like the 3 columns each have a 1/2 block on the top and bottom, so that would mean you would make 3 blocks, and cut them in half so you have 6 - 1/2 size blocks. . . and therefore a total of 35 blocks.

I did note on the online picture of the Jelly Donut, the pattern calls for 40 2.5" strips of fabric or just one jelly roll, so maybe the proofreader for the publication company is not a quilter and does not understand the difference between a block and a strip of fabric. . . . hmmmm....just a thought.

JanTx 07-25-2011 10:58 PM

I know someone goofed up somewhere, but ... I've made all 40 blocks and by golly I'm going to use them! :)

Can't decide what is more usable - longer or wider - and which would be easier to manhandle through my domestic machine for quilting.

LaurieJane 07-25-2011 11:00 PM

Did you have a jelly roll? If you did have a 40 piece jelly roll, did you have enough fabric to make 40 blocks?

LaurieJane 07-25-2011 11:02 PM

well, duh, you obviously did have enough fabric or else you would not have had enough fabric to make 40 blocks. It is after midnight here, time to go to bed!

JanTx 07-25-2011 11:02 PM

I've already made the 40 blocks, but the layout diagram of the pattern shows 35. Just have to decide whether to add the extra blocks to the length or width of the quilt.

Here too and I sit like an idiot trying to figure out how I'm going to use these blocks.......... maybe I should go to bed. Grandboy arrives at 7:00 AM and it's after 2:00 now. Good thing he (and I) still take a nap!

yellowsnow55 07-26-2011 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by JanTx
I've already made the 40 blocks, but the layout diagram of the pattern shows 35. Just have to decide whether to add the extra blocks to the length or width of the quilt.

Here too and I sit like an idiot trying to figure out how I'm going to use these blocks.......... maybe I should go to bed. Grandboy arrives at 7:00 AM and it's after 2:00 now. Good thing he (and I) still take a nap!

You could possibly make a matching pillow/cushion with them?

katier825 07-26-2011 01:14 AM

Wow, that is so pretty! It is frustrating when there is a pattern error. If you are happy with the size it is now, you could take the extra blocks and use them on the back. I generally take a width of fabric, add a decorative row of another fabric or blocks of some sort, then another width of the backing. It adds interest to the back.