Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   peek-a-boo baby quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/peek-boo-baby-quilt-t2390.html)

nanabirdmo 09-21-2007 05:35 AM

you guys are the best. really make a person feel talented;)

i used flannel inside instead of batting. maybe it would be harder to handle with batting? maybe i will try that next.

i got this off the FONS AND PORTER tv show. it is really one of the simplest quilts. almost as simple as the rag quilts.

Cathe 09-21-2007 06:09 AM

What did you use for a template for the circles?

nanabirdmo 09-21-2007 07:16 AM

i used a plate that happened to be about 8 1/2 inches in diameter. you can use any size you like.

jumperfamily 09-21-2007 08:19 AM

Great Job! It looks perfect!
I think the name of the pattern is actually "mock cathedral". I haven't googled it to check. I don't use any "batting" at all, I just use the fabric circles to make a lighter-weight coverlet. In Texas it's a great "quilt-alternative" for those summer babies!
Shelly
PS: I personally think the real cathedral is easier - I HATE marking the square stitch lines on the circles...it's hard for me to make perfect.

Cathe 09-21-2007 09:59 AM

I used a 10" Plate and just two layers of flannel - one solid and one print. No batting. I left the edges scalloped. I first saw this demonstrated at a quilt guild meeting 18 years ago!!
Oh - and it's not hard to mark the lines - you just measure the first one and then use an acrylic square ruler to do the rest.

MCH 09-21-2007 11:55 AM

Just a thought...but why couldn't you fold the circles and squares into quarters, gently crease or mark with pins / marking pen. Then, just match up the creases / marks, and VOILA! all is matched and ready to fold and sew. No need for rulers on the circles...

Or am I missing something??? :shock:

Looks great...and would be great as an "I Spy". The quilt has lots of texture which is great tool for helping a little one develop eye-hand co-ordination and small muscle control by tracing the lines with a tiny figer.

Good show!

madolyn

Feathers 05-03-2009 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
no pattern necessary

-cut a variety of fabrics into circles the size of your choice.
-cut the batting into circles that are 1/2" or 5/8" smaller in diameter than the fabric circles
-pin or baste the batting circles to the backs of half of your circles (the fabrics you want to form the frames of the "windows" on the top of the quilt).
-sew the other half of the circles to the fabric/batting sets. the righ-sides of both fabrics should be facing each other, batting on the outside.
-cut a slit near the edge of the fabs without batting attached. make it just big enough for you to be able to turn the circles right side out.
-quilt the circles in the manner of your choice, removing the pins/basting as you go.
-find the square in the center of your circles by folding the edges in to form an even frame all the way around. use the first one as a guide to the rest. (you could do the same with the paper you used as your pattern) mark the lines (on the fabs that will peek out from the windows) that form the squares using your preferred method.
-sew the circles together along the lines you marked, making sure the fabs without the slits are facing each other.
-when you're done sewing, fold the edges of the circles in to form the windows and secure the frams in the manner of your choice. you can fuse them, use a decorative hand or machine stitch all the way around, or just tack them down "here and there".
- when all that is done, your quilt is done. the slits will have been hidden when you folded the circles in to form the windows. that's why you need to make sure they're no bigger than necessary and are close to the edges.

Just found this thread...will have to try these instructions out. Looks like it might be a do-able ...I"ve tried Cathedral Window patterns a couple times in the past with no luck but I like the pattern so well I really want to make it work for me. Thank you...the quilt is gorgeous, NANABIRD.

motomom 05-03-2009 01:38 PM

This is just a lovely quilt!!!

nanabirdmo 05-03-2009 04:39 PM

hi feathers, thanks for looking, these are very fun quilts to make. i have made larger ones and they are also fun, but a little harder to work with. all in all, though i would make them again. very easy and pretty quick. i have made the real cathederal windows quilt, with all hand work. they are magnificent but not sure i have the patience anymore.
good luck, i would love to see yours soon.

Debbie1 05-03-2009 05:33 PM

That is such a cute quilt! I love it and all the colors you used!