Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pic of my first ever quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pic-my-first-ever-quilt-t24599.html)

lgpars 08-24-2009 05:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Need help knowing how to stitch in the ditch going across because of the staggered squares.

chewboo 08-24-2009 05:05 PM

good job and i love your colors

bluebird 08-24-2009 05:11 PM

Great quilt and wonderful colors. When you stitch ea square across, take a couple of short stitches at the beginning and end of ea square, raise your presser foot and move across next sq to the next ditch, take a couple of tight stitches and stitch that sq. Jump next full sq, stitch next ditch. Does this make sense? Up and down stitch in ditch is one straight sewing line, you might do this first then the across squares. On either way, start in the middle of your quilt and work out. Is this what others would do?

littlehud 08-24-2009 05:11 PM

Very pretty quilt. Just stitch around the squares and you will be OK. Is it for you or a gift.

Baren*eh*ked_canadian 08-24-2009 05:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ok, this is kind of what I meant in the chat. please excuse the crappy demonstration, I'm using a paint program, and a laptop mouse :roll: :x

I would quilt where the white lines are

Please excuse the random diagonal line, right near the center :roll:

lgpars 08-24-2009 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by bluebird
Great quilt and wonderful colors. When you stitch ea square across, take a couple of short stitches at the beginning and end of ea square, raise your presser foot and move across next sq to the next ditch, take a couple of tight stitches and stitch that sq. Jump next full sq, stitch next ditch. Does this make sense? Up and down stitch in ditch is one straight sewing line, you might do this first then the across squares. On either way, start in the middle of your quilt and work out. Is this what others would do?

I was going to do it that way; however, I do not think it would look right on the backside of the quilt as it is a plain color. So I don't know what that would look like on the back.

lgpars 08-24-2009 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by littlehud
Very pretty quilt. Just stitch around the squares and you will be OK. Is it for you or a gift.

It's for my daughter. She was going to help me with it but she sewed about two rows of squares and that was it. Now I'm stuck finishing it. Ha! I just hope I can get it quilted. It took me forever to just baste all of it.

amma 08-24-2009 06:12 PM

It's a beautiful quilt!!! :D :D :D
Check on the batting and see what the recommended spacing on the quilting is...and then you can decide for sure how it needs to be quilted.

Jim's Gem 08-24-2009 06:41 PM

Pretty quilt. Next time use spray basting, it is much faster and easier!!!

lgpars 08-24-2009 07:57 PM

Thank you very much. It is Warm and Natural batting and it says up to 10 inches for quilting.