Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pics of the Danny Amazonas Exhibit at Paducah (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pics-danny-amazonas-exhibit-paducah-t306865.html)

Watson 09-13-2019 10:39 AM

Pics of the Danny Amazonas Exhibit at Paducah

10 Attachment(s)
This was definitely the highlight of my trip. I spent a very long time here with my nose a 1/2" away from the quilts. I also took a lot of pics of the eyes as he does such an amazing job and it's something I'm definitely struggling with right now.
The whole gallery was an explosion of colour.
I've seen pictures and it seems that he quilts all these big wall quilts on a small domestic machine. And, he does a lot of quilting on every one.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617354[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617355[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617356[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617357[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]617358[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617359[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617360[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617361[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617362[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]617363[/ATTACH]

Watson

Kassaundra 09-13-2019 10:47 AM

Wow I can see why, these are amazing, such depth and details.

Sharonquilts 09-13-2019 10:50 AM

Oh My! I'm amazed at how some people can envision things like this. They have to be true artists. These are amazing finished pieces ... and then to look closely to see all the pieces, colors/fabric choices, the quilting. I know it's wrong, but darn that makes me envious. Haha.

Watson, BTW, what did you decide to use for the mosaic class you were going to teach? Would love to see how your students' work turned out if you have any pictures.

Watson 09-13-2019 11:00 AM

Sharonquilts.... We are going to do a fish collage and it will be in November. I did a little 25 minute mini-class on just one aspect of collage for our Modern Quilt Guild and I think it went well.

Watson

Tartan 09-13-2019 12:13 PM

​Amazing pieces! Are they raw edge appliqué?

sewbizgirl 09-13-2019 12:49 PM

Thank you so much, Watson! I was just feeling sorry for myself today, because I didn't go to the show this year. These are quilts beyond descriptive words! The huge one with the sea turtle should win best in show.

Love those Degas dancers, too. And yes, his eyes are amazing. Thank you again for sharing!

TheMerkleFamily 09-13-2019 01:42 PM

Wow! Beyond amazing work displayed here.. Thank you so very much for sharing your pics with us!

Barb in Louisiana 09-13-2019 01:46 PM

He is amazing! Thank you for introducing me to his beautiful work.

feline fanatic 09-13-2019 02:30 PM

Awe inspiring! AQS had a great article about him a while back. Thanks so much for posting these pics. Hoping you will have a lot more pics to share of the show. I would especially love to see pics of my friend Teri's quilt that won 1st place overall "Finding Light in the Darkness". I had the pleasure of seeing that quilt from conception to completion and it is truly amazing. She used a lot of metallic thread to do the quilting and used all Cherrywood hand dyes for the piecing. Teri survived cancer twice and her hope is to inspire others battling this horrible disease as well as survivors.

Tish05 09-13-2019 03:24 PM

Those quilts are amazing. He truly has an artistic eye to be able to see what different fabrics will do to the overall image. Unbelievable.