Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pics of my $2 Homemade Supreme Slider (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pics-my-%242-homemade-supreme-slider-t141414.html)

CAJAMK 07-30-2011 11:59 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I have been asked for pics from my post of a few days ago about "Getting in the FMQ" groove in the Main section of this board...Here are a few pics of my Joann's heavy gauge vinyl homemade supreme slider. I just cut around my extension table (round off corners I found are better). Then I just cut out the vinyl around my feeddogs. Viola...homemade slider. With a coupon I got about 1 yd of the heaviest gauge vinyl at Joann's for $5 and only used a small portion for this slider. To clean it I just run it under the faucet and let it drip dry. There is also a few pics of a quilt I finished earlier today doing FMQ. Pic 1 is the slider/vinyl on the bed. Pic 2 shows the cut out I made (not under the feeddogs. Pic 3 shows the cutout under the feeddogs. Pic 4 is a closeup of some FMQ ...pic 5 the entire wallhanging.

Candace 07-30-2011 12:02 PM

Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.

CAJAMK 07-30-2011 12:03 PM

Yes, I do disengage the feeddogs. I just wanted a large area for the needle. Thanks

oldswimmer 07-30-2011 12:09 PM

Looks like you found a super way to make your FMQ easier!

ChrisB 07-30-2011 12:17 PM

Neat idea. Thanks!

cdarts2 07-30-2011 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Just a note, you shouldn't have to cut a notch out for your feed dogs. They should be disengaged while doing FMQ. The Supreme Slider only has a few small holes for the needle only.

What is FMQ
:?:

suebee 07-30-2011 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by CAJAMK
I have been asked for pics from my post of a few days ago about "Getting in the FMQ" groove in the Main section of this board...Here are a few pics of my Joann's heavy gauge vinyl homemade supreme slider. I just cut around my extension table (round off corners I found are better). Then I just cut out the vinyl around my feeddogs. Viola...homemade slider. With a coupon I got about 1 yd of the heaviest gauge vinyl at Joann's for $5 and only used a small portion for this slider. To clean it I just run it under the faucet and let it drip dry. There is also a few pics of a quilt I finished earlier today doing FMQ. Pic 1 is the slider/vinyl on the bed. Pic 2 shows the cut out I made (not under the feeddogs. Pic 3 shows the cutout under the feeddogs. Pic 4 is a closeup of some FMQ ...pic 5 the entire wallhanging.

Im curious what you used to fix it to the bed of your machine, did you use double stick tape or something like that? Thank you!

Launie 07-30-2011 12:24 PM

That is really clever! I am gonna give that a try!

annthreecats 07-30-2011 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by cdarts2

What is FMQ

FMQ = Free Motion Quilting

LyndaOH 07-30-2011 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by cdarts2

What is FMQ

It stands for free motion quilting.

Some of us do FMQ with the feed dogs up.