Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Picture of a WIP that I started this morning. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/picture-wip-i-started-morning-t151893.html)

Fixedgearhead 09-10-2011 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here we have a hexagon that is reminiscent of the Victorian Flower Garden, that I was working up to see if it was something I could run with. I think it will work out. I plan to use the beige background all around the center color piece and black trim to set off each "pedal", and change the color of each center piece. The finished size of each "pedal" is 4" so it makes for an overall flower size of 13" each way. Kind of dramatically big for that particular Pattern, but I kind of like it. Maybe for a child's bed quilt, or an adult with modern tastes lap robe. Wachathink? This whole thing came about when I started organizing my stash, after hearing "comments" from some of you about the messiness of my stash area. That led to this idea for eating up large amounts of solid color fabric. See. I do pay attention you your comments.
John

Very large Victorian Flower Garden flower
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254435[/ATTACH]

wuv2quilt 09-10-2011 12:27 PM

I like it....I have a 5" hexagon template, and was wondering how it'd look...now I know :)

jeanne307 09-10-2011 12:33 PM

Wow John the hexagon and Grandma's Flower Garden are some of my faves... I love it and can't wait to see the finished product.

Fixedgearhead 09-10-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by jeanne307
Wow John the hexagon and Grandma's Flower Garden are some of my faves... I love it and can't wait to see the finished product.

Based on the progress on this one piece, I hope you aren't holding your breath for the finished picture. :lol:
John

MTS 09-10-2011 12:41 PM

Very interesting. It will really define the flowers.

Are you doing this by hand or machine?????

eta: so if each flower is framed by black - will you have diamonds each framed flower, will you have diamonds between the black frames, or will the flowers all nest?

maggy 09-10-2011 12:42 PM

Glad to see a male quilter,welcome. How about a beautiful table cloth. You just gave me an idea for a patio table. Did you have a pattern or just used your creative skills? I like the idea.

blueangel 09-10-2011 01:26 PM

I like it.

Fixedgearhead 09-10-2011 02:46 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Very interesting. It will really define the flowers.

Are you doing this by hand or machine?????

eta: so if each flower is framed by black - will you have diamonds each framed flower, will you have diamonds between the black frames, or will the flowers all nest?

I am going to let the 3/4" black border strip, be a common border at nesting points making for a 1/4" border. I really don't know how big it will become, or what other elements will be in it. It is like Topsy it will just grow. I sometimes like doing that as it often morphs into something special. At other time it makes for some"interesting" quilting exercises.
John

Fixedgearhead 09-10-2011 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by maggy
Glad to see a male quilter,welcome. How about a beautiful table cloth. You just gave me an idea for a patio table. Did you have a pattern or just used your creative skills? I like the idea.

Just my pea sized brain on this one. I am doing it to use up an abundance of solid leftover stash pieces and do so by trying a new type of pattern that I am trying out for the first time. Wish me luck.
John

par4theday 09-10-2011 02:54 PM

Good idea for using up those plain pieces, I bet it will be beautiful when finished. I'll breath though, until you get it finished. lol.