Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pictures of Quilt display racks (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pictures-quilt-display-racks-t151306.html)

Fixedgearhead 09-10-2011 05:47 AM

Originally Posted by gspsplease
They are certainly beautiful quilts and wonderful display racks.
I have been lucky purchasing similar racks from ebay in Australia, not listed as quilt racks but as towel racks-- people who have reproduction old style bathrooms often purchase wooden towel racks to match. And when they change their style, they sell them on ebay! I'm sure if they were listed as quilt racks I would never be able to afford them, but no one else seems to notice these items -- so far I have purchased 3, paying no more than $30 for each. A friend of mine uses old towel racks in her bedroom, to store "wear around the house" clothes for a day or so rather than draping them on a chair (or on the ground).

I have seen large clothes drying racks used in stores to display quilts. They will hold about 8 of them folded. That would be a good option if you had the need or space for such a piece. You could even make it out of nicer wood than the regular racks come in. Pine I think it is, but it may be something else. Whatever you use, I suggest you coat it with polyurethane finish before you lay those keepsakes on it so as to prevent the leaching of oils from the wood, onto the fabric.
John

Taughtby Grandma 09-10-2011 06:26 PM

Beautiful quilt racks and beautiful quilts!

DonnaB 09-10-2011 07:07 PM

Beautiful racks, I've been trying to get my DH to make some too, only out of pine, as that's the wood we have on our land. Thanks for sharing your pic's.

sailsablazin 09-10-2011 09:15 PM

I would love an orchard ladder to display my quilts....
Need high ceilings..

Fixedgearhead 09-11-2011 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaB
Beautiful racks, I've been trying to get my DH to make some too, only out of pine, as that's the wood we have on our land. Thanks for sharing your pic's.

Nothing wrong with Pine. I use it all the time. I value it for it's lightness when weight is a consideration. With a good hard polyurethane finish it will stand up to wear and tear with some of the best of them.
John

jeanharville 09-11-2011 04:30 PM

Thanks for sharing your interesting journey with us. jean

Sandyb 09-12-2011 04:35 AM

The quilt stands and the quilts are really works of art. I love the baseboards in your home. It looks like you have a really cozy place to put all of your beautiful works of art. Thank you for sharing.

carroll campbell 09-18-2011 05:04 PM

John would you like to adopt me so I can get some of your woodwork. You do an awsome job.

Fixedgearhead 09-22-2011 06:05 PM

[! I'm sure if they were listed as quilt racks I would never be able to afford them, but no one else seems to notice these items -- so far I have purchased 3, paying no more than $30 for each. A friend of mine uses old towel racks in her bedroom, to store "wear around the house" clothes for a day or so rather than draping them on a chair (or on the ground).[/quote]
We have a couple of them in our bedroom for just that purpose. Sometimes, clothes that come out of the dryer are not quite dry enough to put away, and they end up draped on them until they can be put away.
John

ccthomas 09-22-2011 07:43 PM

Have a Shaker look. Very professional - high quality.