Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pictures: A suitcase for my travels (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pictures-suitcase-my-travels-t152023.html)

Fixedgearhead 09-11-2011 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by hairquilt
Love it-Would work great as a carry on or for your laptop too!

Especially if you were carrying a 24" laptop. Wait. A 24" laptop is absurd. Actually this is about 24" x 6" x 20". A bit much for a laptop case. Maybe if you had to carry a lot of cabling. and peripherals, like a 4 in one printer/copier. This is getting silly so I am going now.
John

Fixedgearhead 09-11-2011 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by cmagee84
Love the suitcase and love your post. Of course now everyone is going to want you to do a tutorial! LOL! :)

This thing was so much trouble to sew through the Stiff Interfacing. It was like sewing through thin plywood. I broke I don't remember how many needles, and feared for the sustainability of my treadle conversion machine, that I don't think I am going to do another one. I don't think anybody should attempt this sort of thing, unless you have a spare machine to replace the one you are regularly using.
John

SWEETPEACHES 09-11-2011 05:27 AM

Wow. That's Awesome!

Fixedgearhead 09-11-2011 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by alwayslearning
When I saw the heading for this and after seeing the beautiful work you do with wood, ... I did think we were going to see a carry on made of wood. Don't laugh at me, my mother used to have one beautifully covered in leather. Boy was that thing heavy, but lovely to look at.
Once again, wonderful work. Looking forward to your tute.

I have a couple of Briefcases, made of wood that are laying around here somewhere, that I used to use for business. I made one for my wife, and all the Lawyers at her work place, wanted one for themselves. I will try to round them up and take some pictures for everybody to enjoy, or scoff at, whichever comes to mind first.
John

Chele 09-11-2011 05:31 AM

Very cool!

catladyquilts 09-11-2011 05:35 AM

that is really a good way to use scraps, be creative and practical at the same time

LeeAnn 09-11-2011 05:39 AM

How clever! Great idea!

PaperPrincess 09-11-2011 05:40 AM

Wow, that's great!! I have the zippers and the timtex, and there are a couple of quilt block patterns I need to test....

gigi4419 09-11-2011 05:45 AM

Really nice!

suebee 09-11-2011 07:18 AM

You are one talented guy! I love reading your posts.

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
Here is a bit of whimsy that made it's way into my otherwise empty head one day last winter when I was cleaning out some leftover pieces of quilting that never made it into a finished item. What you have is a suitcase. Not your average suitcase, I might add, though. I used some of the very heaviest interfacing from joann's and sandwiched it and some cotton batting into the strange item you see before you. 2 very long sippers and a handle with snap cushion and there you go. The Quilted Suitcase. We are driving down to Santa Fe New Mexico later this week, for a little vacation, and it will accompany me, to satisfy the carrying of my clothes. I don't think we will ever fly while using it, as the T.S.A. would probably throw me into Guantanamo Bay for being suspect. I might just be thrown into there anyway, on general principals.:lol: The inside is shown with 4 pockets made from more leftover quilt pattern pieces. The darn thing actually works. I am not quite sure whether Louis Vuitton is getting worried, but I am.
John