Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   pies and tarts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pies-tarts-t283705.html)

Geri B 11-11-2016 09:47 AM

pies and tarts

1 Attachment(s)
After doing about 40 large and 15 small, I decided I wanted to try and put together a sample just to see how many more I really want to do! I used mono thread and natural muslin--- for that olde look......it's a great way to use scraps....started with regular thread, 4 patch and lite fusible...drew circle on back of 4 patch, sewed, cut into circle, flipped out, ironed, then zigzagged using mono onto squares. Have to improve on the zigzagging to eliminate some of the fullness, but then I can work it out on the l/a.......ill just keep making P&Ts and adding on until something else tempts me......now to try and get the pic here...[ATTACH=CONFIG]562045[/ATTACH] Golly it worked! Sorry blurry, photography is not my forte!

feline fanatic 11-11-2016 09:51 AM

When you describe starting out with a 4 patch do you mean you had a 4 patch of HST units? More like a pinwheel??

Geri B 11-11-2016 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7697404)
When you describe starting out with a 4 patch do you mean you had a 4 patch of HST units? More like a pinwheel??

Sorry, yes that how it began...pinwheel block...

mama's place 11-11-2016 11:05 AM

OK..Thanks for sharing this!! I have wanted to make this quilt for a while but was unsure how to proceed without a pattern and the pattern is very expensive. This is great. I may pull out some left over pinwheel blocks and play with them and see if I can make a few as a test. All Right..

Geri B 11-11-2016 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by mama's place (Post 7697448)
OK..Thanks for sharing this!! I have wanted to make this quilt for a while but was unsure how to proceed without a pattern and the pattern is very expensive. This is great. I may pull out some left over pinwheel blocks and play with them and see if I can make a few as a test. All Right..

Large started as 3 1/2" hst to make 6 1/2" pinwheel,used 6" circle template, penciled circle on back of pinwheel, cut interfacing 6 1/2" square, put on right side of pinwheel, sewed circle, trimmed around stitch line, cut an X in interfacing, flipped out, ironed.....same for small, using 2 1/2" hsts = 4 1/2" pinwheel - circles are 4"

QuiltnNan 11-11-2016 11:21 AM

looks good so far

busy fingers 11-11-2016 12:00 PM

A nice way to use up scraps.

copycat 11-12-2016 03:11 AM

Your blocks look great! I made blocks like these once. The difference was that I cut out the circle with a pinking rotary blade. Next I placed the circle on a background square that was on top of batting and a backing square. I sewed a scant quarter inch along the perimeter of the circle. Now I had a quilted block. I joined the blocks as you would for a rag quilt.
Have fun playing with your design. I love it so far!

MargeD 11-12-2016 06:26 AM

Very cute idea.

twinkie 11-13-2016 07:01 AM

Would love to see a complete quilt like this.