Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Pillowcase quilt finished! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/pillowcase-quilt-finished-t218329.html)

kittenquilts 04-07-2013 11:59 AM

What a lovely idea! Great way to show off those treasured items!

julybaby8 04-07-2013 12:04 PM

A nice use for linens. Nice job.

starr511 04-07-2013 12:26 PM

Very nice keepsake.

Mornigstar 04-07-2013 12:33 PM

What a lovely quilt. I also have some & plan quilt in future.
My suggestion for getting linens white. I put warm water in bucket --add drops of laundry soap and mix in a scoop of OXI clean. Soak the cloth for a day or two then rinse well. If you are in a sunny area lay old sheet on grass then lay linen/case/ cloth whatever on the sheet out in sun for it to dry. May have to repeat. For yellow type from head sweat I also use "GOOP" which is a hand cleaner for mechanics bought at hardware etc store. It's a white cream that I used for years to take marks off clothing.
Rub the goop into the damp pillowcase --put aside for few days then wash/dry. Will not harm colors either

What fabric and color did you use for the back of your quilt? Think that's all my questions.

tebill 04-07-2013 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Mornigstar (Post 5984799)
What a lovely quilt. I also have some & plan quilt in future.
My suggestion for getting linens white. I put warm water in bucket --add drops of laundry soap and mix in a scoop of OXI clean. Soak the cloth for a day or two then rinse well. If you are in a sunny area lay old sheet on grass then lay linen/case/ cloth whatever on the sheet out in sun for it to dry. May have to repeat. For yellow type from head sweat I also use "GOOP" which is a hand cleaner for mechanics bought at hardware etc store. It's a white cream that I used for years to take marks off clothing.
Rub the goop into the damp pillowcase --put aside for few days then wash/dry. Will not harm colors either

What fabric and color did you use for the back of your quilt? Think that's all my questions.

Great suggestions for whitening! Thanks so much! For the backing, I bought wide white backing fabric, 100% cotton at Fabricland.

quilt-n-girl 04-07-2013 01:06 PM

Your quilt reminds me of my mother, she used to embroidered pillow cases, but she has passed away, and I don't have any of them, I don't know if there are any of them left or not. Two of my brother's have moved in, and things are getting broken, and thrown away. They throw away a lot of things that are not broke, too. They burned all of momas Christmas stuff that I would have liked to have. One of my brother's did save a ceramic santa, and her unused cards, and gave them to me. Some of the Christmas stuff I made and gave her. I sure do miss my mother, a lot. You did a great job on your quilt, and I know you will enjoy your treasures the family members made. It is a lot better to make use of things, than to leave them in a closet.

nananurse 04-07-2013 01:22 PM

Gorgeous! Great job!

tebill 04-07-2013 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by quilt-n-girl (Post 5984873)
Your quilt reminds me of my mother, she used to embroidered pillow cases, but she has passed away, and I don't have any of them, I don't know if there are any of them left or not. Two of my brother's have moved in, and things are getting broken, and thrown away. They throw away a lot of things that are not broke, too. They burned all of momas Christmas stuff that I would have liked to have. One of my brother's did save a ceramic santa, and her unused cards, and gave them to me. Some of the Christmas stuff I made and gave her. I sure do miss my mother, a lot. You did a great job on your quilt, and I know you will enjoy your treasures the family members made. It is a lot better to make use of things, than to leave them in a closet.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother's things. I miss my mom a lot, too so I understand your feelings. If you have photos of your mom, perhaps you could make a memory quilt with photo fabric.

ScrapQuilter 04-07-2013 02:42 PM

A treasure to be passed down for generations.............

milikaa1 04-07-2013 02:57 PM

What a beautiful quilt and I really like the idea you had with this one.