Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   From Placemats .... to a Quilt!!!!!!!! Mooy Christmas! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/placemats-quilt-mooy-christmas-t260026.html)

QuiltE 01-20-2015 01:53 PM

From Placemats .... to a Quilt!!!!!!!! Mooy Christmas!

2 Attachment(s)
When we were dairy farming, friends and family thought everything cow needed to be in our home. Sometimes what they gave, really was not appreciated ... such as these place mats!

Sure, I liked the "fabric", but I am SO NOT a place mat person. Add the fact that they werebasically just some fabric fused to a white backing with a serged edge, plus they never laid flat. So every year for Christmas they came out, were seldom used .... and then tucked away for the next year.

The last few years, I kept thinking, I should make them into a quilt, but nothing happened. This year, it kept haunting me, and I started to consider designs and stash fabrics for go-withs. Didn't happen though. Til I started packing Christmas things away, and decided, it's going to become a flimsy in January and it'll be quilted sometime between then and Christmas!

Mission Accomplished!! .... A nice large lap quilt .... or a small'ish bed quilt at 69" square.
IF I want it as a topper, I can easily lay it over a bedspread sized quilt.
Bonus ... all the fabric came from my stash except the white/gold.
And of course, just "had" to use the Churn Dash or Hole In the Barn Door block design for the starting point!

May I wish you an early
Merry Christmoos!!
........ or should that be a
Mooy Christmas? :D:D
Of course, from none other than the
Santa Cows!!
Thanks for looking .... (sorry, not the best photo .... the sashing and borders is a dark green striped fabric.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506946[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]506947[/ATTACH]

Tartan 01-20-2015 01:58 PM

Great way to re-purpose your placemats! Cow fabric in the center of Hole in the Barn Door pattern, perfect!

susiequilt 01-20-2015 01:58 PM

How lovely that you turned them into something nice!

ShannanMN 01-20-2015 01:59 PM

That is very clever and cute... now the question is... will you gift the quilt back to the people who gave you the placemats? I think not!

works4me 01-20-2015 02:00 PM

Nicely repurposed. And even a churn dash block. You ARE creative.

Well done as usual.

sweet 01-20-2015 02:03 PM

Perfect! So much better than placemats!!!!! One of my favorite squares too!

Judith1005 01-20-2015 02:06 PM

That came out adorable. Great repurpose!

DogHouseMom 01-20-2015 02:12 PM

They look soooo much better as a quilt :) Great re-purpose!!

Can't wait to see how you're going to quilt this one.

janRN 01-20-2015 02:40 PM

I know what you mean about receiving cow-related items; when we had our Dalmatian people kept giving us anything spotted--even had a toilet bowl brush & holder that was a Dalmatian.

I love the Santa Moos--that turned out really cute! And it's something you'll use. Can I say it?---you did an AMOOSING job, QE!

Leslie333 01-20-2015 02:46 PM

Great job turning those into a wonderful quilt!