Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Please help...this flower basket pattern isn't working (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/please-help-flower-basket-pattern-isnt-working-t116651.html)

karenm36 04-16-2011 03:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Or maybe it's me? :roll:

Either way, I'm frustrated and can't figure out how to fix this darn problem!

I found a flower basket pattern on line that I like. Says it makes a 10 inch finished block. Printed it off and started plugging away slowly, taking my time. Seems all is well...until

...The pattern shows how to make most of the blocks but not all of them. I figure I'll figure it out as I go along...Then...

...I'm sewing the side units on and realize that they're cutting into one of the triangle units...there goes the points. Now that's not right!...so...

...I get back online to find the pattern and see if there were some additional instructions that I might have failed to print off. I found the pattern again...but this time noticed that it says the finished block is 12 inches!!! BUT the measurements for cutting everything is the same...nothing has changed.

...So, just to see what this finished block will look like I go ahead and finish it...and it turns out to be about 10 1/2 inches square!

Somethings all wrong with the math. And the directions are lacking to say the least.

So my questions:

Would you just find another flower basket pattern? (Though I do like this one) And do you know what that might be more user friendly than this one?

If I stay with this one...how on earth do I start attempting to figure out how the points got lost? I don't even know what the finished block size is supposed to be as it's listed as 10 inches in one place and as 12 inches in another...

And lastly...I noticed that my white on white fabric is scorching a bit. I've worked with white on white before and that has never happened. I don't live the iron in one place too long...I won't use this block in the quilt since it's all messed up...but if it were to happen again...what's the best way to get it out? And would you treat the block BEFORE sewing it into the quilt?

Thanks so much for any assistance you can give me...I think it's now time for a chocolate break!!!! :| Karen

Notice it says 10 inch block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185238[/ATTACH]

Notice here is says 12 inch block
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185239[/ATTACH]

Flower basket
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185240[/ATTACH]

Look closely in the corners where the yellow, pink, white and green come together
[ATTACH=CONFIG]185244[/ATTACH]

nativetexan 04-16-2011 03:14 PM

I think you did yours right. 10 1/2 inches!!! the 12 inch is evidently a printing error. that was confusing!
the seams you mentioned, when you sew the flying geese section to the basket, don't take too much of a seam allowance. you must sew across the stitches that made the the two colors dip in the center. if you look at the back i'm sure you sewed just on the other side of that and lost your "point".
http://www.ctpubblog.com/2010/05/10/...erfect-points/
lovely block though!!

quilticing 04-16-2011 03:15 PM

If each half-square triangle is 2" finished: 2x5=10. Your block is beautiful and looks like plenty of room at edge so the points don't disappear. Is the 5.25" right? or should it be 5"?

tellabella 04-16-2011 03:37 PM

It seems to me that the pink triangle may be too small..needs 1/4 inch more across the bottom..but how do you do that??

tellabella 04-16-2011 03:41 PM

In looking at it again...I see you make a flying geese unit...if the instructions were to make 2 1/2 triangles instead...then you would have had to make an adjustment to the size of the flying geese.. what was the size of the flying geese unit...I am curious now...

karenm36 04-16-2011 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by tellabella
It seems to me that the pink triangle may be too small..needs 1/4 inch more across the bottom..but how do you do that??

I don't know! The 2 sides there didn't have any extra material so that when I joined the other piece and made a seam then I lost 1/4 inch on each side that needed to stay in order to make everything fit right. That's what I'm trying to figure out...

karenm36 04-16-2011 04:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by tellabella
In looking at it again...I see you make a flying geese unit...if the instructions were to make 2 1/2 triangles instead...then you would have had to make an adjustment to the size of the flying geese.. what was the size of the flying geese unit...I am curious now...

The instructions for the creamy material said to:

"Cut one 5 1/4" square. Sub cut diagonally twice to make 4 quarter-square triangles." The yellow and "light" green triangles are from 2 7/8" squares that are cut into triangles. The instructions tell you to layer the 2 7/8" fabric squares and make half square triangles which are used in the block. The instructions however do NOT say any thing about how you put the other triangles together that basically make a flying geese unit. It LOOKs like a flying geese unit...and I wish it were!!!...because then I'd have an exact measurement to go by. But the picture only show that the 3 triangle pieces are together....But I think I figured that out. The real problem are the sides where I sew the the outer segment to the the pink part...there's no seam allowance there...so that's where I lost the points. I'll post a pic of the diagram and maybe you can see what might have gone wrong...

Cherylsea 04-16-2011 05:15 PM

I may be in the minority here but in the picture that you labeled "Flower Basket" you can't even see that there is anything wrong. I think the block looks really pretty and, if it were me, I would just keep going and let it be. The upper points all look perfect; the basket points look perfect ....

mimom 04-16-2011 05:24 PM

its beautiful

janedennis 04-16-2011 05:39 PM

The Fab Shop Hop this month has a whole quilt full of baskets patterns that you get as you hop for free