Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Poor LA quilter's light system (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/poor-la-quilters-light-system-t260311.html)

joyce888 01-26-2015 08:33 AM

Poor LA quilter's light system

2 Attachment(s)
I wanted to post this in pictures so anyone who wants a light system for their LA machine and doesn't want to spend hundreds of $ can build their own (with the help of DH). The height and length of mine is 7' tall by 12'6" long. It is secured to the frame with clamps and screws (even put a rubber leg caps on to protect the carpet). Because of my anal personality I had my DH cut holes in the top of the pipe so all the electrical would be running through the pipe, not sitting on top and the lights would be flush with the pipe.

Specs:
Galvanized lead pipe 1 1/2" dia.
5 metal shaded clip-on lights (used in shops and garages); the clips come off
electrical cord (for rewiring lamps into one single power source.

Total cost about $130

Geri B 01-26-2015 08:49 AM

Perfect!!!

QuiltnNan 01-26-2015 09:06 AM

a great system... but i'm afraid that i have to take umbrage with the comment about having the DH help... some of us women are quite capable of making this all on our own :)

joyce888 01-26-2015 09:14 AM

No offense meant. But cutting five rectangles in a round metal pipe was not what I wanted to do.

ckcowl 01-26-2015 09:22 AM

You used LEAD???? it must weigh a ton!
It is a great design, I think my hubby would have it made out of aluminum, or possibly steel, lead is so very heavy along with the softness of the metal and the dangers using lead I'm surprised that was your choice. Great light bar though!

fxsts93kf 01-26-2015 09:41 AM

Wow! I love to see how ingenious people are when it comes to recreating something. It's amazing how much money can be saved with a little time and effort. Kudo's to you and your husband!

joyce888 01-26-2015 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 7064578)
You used LEAD???? it must weigh a ton!
It is a great design, I think my hubby would have it made out of aluminum, or possibly steel, lead is so very heavy along with the softness of the metal and the dangers using lead I'm surprised that was your choice. Great light bar though!

Its actually called galvanized lighting conduit pipe. Because of the length needed anything else would have bowed greatly. The longest the pipe comes is 8ft.; so it is joined in the middle and does still have a slight dip.

nannyrick 01-26-2015 09:59 AM

That is awesome!!! Great job.

Tweety2911 01-26-2015 10:47 AM

Great job and how wonderful to have so much light!

Baloonatic 01-26-2015 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7064552)
a great system... but i'm afraid that i have to take umbrage with the comment about having the DH help... some of us women are quite capable of making this all on our own :)

I agree, I'd be the one having to show HIM what to do LOL! The lighting system looks GREAT, but did you mean LEAD pipe? It looks like galvy steel, no?