Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Post Your Memory Quilts Please (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/post-your-memory-quilts-please-t322120.html)

JENNR8R 12-30-2023 01:20 PM

Post Your Memory Quilts Please

My daughter-in-law's mother died on Christmas Day. :(

She has asked me to make a memory quilt for her out of her mother's clothing.

I need ideas. Please post a picture of a memory quilt that you have made.

fatsewcat 12-30-2023 03:37 PM

5 Attachment(s)
These five were all made using my grandpas clothes. Made for my dad, uncle and 3 aunts. They are personalized in some way for the recipient.

fatsewcat 12-30-2023 03:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here’s a few more I have done. The tree was for my gma using same clothes in the first five I posted. I still have scraps leftover. I had a lot of clothes. The tulip quilt was made for a cousins mother in law when using her husbands clothes after he passed. A simple T-shirt quilt given to a man from his daughter using his wife’s shirts and the most recent one I finished (12/2023) was for the daughter of a man who passed using his clothes and represents various aspects of his life.

WMUTeach 12-30-2023 03:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This quilt was made for my cousin's daughter (Bobbi) from her grandma's (my aunt's) fabrics and clothing. The barn raising pattern seemed to lend itself well to the many colors and prints found in the pieces and scraps that were given to me to choose from.

Quiltwoman44 12-30-2023 03:58 PM

memory quilt

1 Attachment(s)
here is one i did long ago, not much it.
for my son

fatsewcat 12-30-2023 04:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have also made some bears and pillows using clothes that I have been given.
the first two pictures were for a mom who lost her son. I was asked to make two bears. I was given so many clothes that I made a bear and pillow for his mom, girlfriend and three kids, mom had a hard time parting with all but one for the girlfriend so I was asked asked to make three more for the kids (2nd picture). All 8 of those bears were made from the same pattern but all the fabric took the shape differently. The three white bears were from nightgown for a mother and her two daughters, the single pillow was was leftover fabrics for a quilt that matched it and the last theee IU bears were for work associate for her and her two brothers after their dad passed.

fatsewcat 12-30-2023 04:04 PM

Beautiful! I love that pattern!

fatsewcat 12-30-2023 04:08 PM

It’s beautiful. Love photo memory quilts.

I’m in the process of making quilts for my coworkers and i am making an Ispy quilt for mine one coworker. Huge family man with 6 kids so his is going to be more of a family quilt and I’m throwing in two pictures of his sister that passed away in November.

Peckish 12-31-2023 12:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm so sorry for your family's loss.

My grandparents were Hawaiian snowbirds for over 40 years, and my grandfather loved Hawaiian culture. His Hawaiian memorial service was the most beautiful, touching service I have ever attended.

I made a quilt for my grandmother from my grandfather's beloved collection of Hawaiian shirts. It was really, really hard to cut the shirts up, but once I got them de-boned, it got easier. I gave it to her at a family function. At her first reaction, I thought maybe she didn't care much for it - she thanked me, turned away and started talking to someone else. But at a later date, when we were alone together, she told me she loved it very much, it's one of her most treasured possessions. She had turned away because she was so overcome with emotion and didn't want to break down in front of everyone.

Pattern is Double Takes 4 by Anka's Treasures. Every fabric in the top was a shirt Grandpa wore for years, even the white sashing strips, the small navy diamonds, and the binding. I used navy minkee on the back for the snuggle factor. Size is generous lap. Grandma shows it off to every new resident when they arrive at the wrinkle ranch where she lives.

toogie 12-31-2023 05:27 AM

Brother in laws shirts

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, this is my husband’s brother’s shirts. He worn mainly western shirts and most all were a plaid or a stripe. I didn’t know what else to do with them because they were too busy to sew together, I decided to separate them with sashing. Sashing and backing was purchased, all the rest were Douglas’ shirts. Quilt for his wife of 50 years and pillows for their two daughters. The blue jeans one was donated to young man.