Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Practice in HSTs with Sawtooth Square Block (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/practice-hsts-sawtooth-square-block-t45907.html)

1quilt_gma 05-14-2010 11:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In order to practice working on HSTs, I chose this pattern and layout from quilterscache. I got a lot of practice, I promise!

The original block was 12", I was concerned that I would not have enough material, so I changed it to a 9" block. The top is approximately 54" x 54".

I usually add a border to quilts, but with this one I am hesitant. I do not have enough blue left and really don't want to introduce another color to the quilt. I don't know what color binding I will use. So it will stay as is until I can decide...

any suggestions?

Blue/White quilt top
[ATTACH=CONFIG]67896[/ATTACH]

raptureready 05-15-2010 12:56 AM

I don't have any suggestions but wanted to say that your quilt top is beautiful. Did you use Thangles on your HSTs?

saf45 05-15-2010 03:22 AM

very pretty

odysseyquilter 05-15-2010 03:35 AM

I would border it with the white and then bind it with the blue if you have enough. Very pretty top.

susiequilt 05-15-2010 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by odysseyquilter
I would border it with the white and then bind it with the blue if you have enough. Very pretty top.

I agree with the white or cream whichever you used. Looks cream on my screen. If you don't have enough of the blue for binding maybe a solid navy blue binding.

katier825 05-15-2010 03:49 AM

I agree, white/cream border and blue binding. If you don't have enough of that blue, you could try to find a solid, marble or tonal that is close in color to the blue. You don't see much of the binding, so I don't think a small amount of design would take away from the body of the quilt.

Very nice!

CarrieAnne 05-15-2010 03:51 AM

Wow, its so pretty! You did a wonderful job!

dsb38327 05-15-2010 04:21 AM

It is beautiful.
I understand your not wanting to introduce another color but you do what you gotta do. You have several tones to choose from.
My eye picked up the deep navy blue. Do you have some deep blues you could lay the quilt on to take a photo of what they would look like as the border color?
I think it would be stunning if you had enough of your white/cream fabric for the border.
What does your backing look like? Is there a chance it would blend with the front well enough to roll your backing over quilt front and seam it as the binding?
I will look forward to seeing what your resolution is.

stitchinwitch 05-15-2010 04:27 AM

Very nice - I love the interest

2 Doods 05-15-2010 04:38 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Fabulous job! I like your idea of making the squares smaller.

I made this pattern last year as a retirement gift. I didn't put anything else on it and used a blue binding.
The 12 inch squares made it go together quick.

Hope you get to keep yours! :lol: