Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   practicing leaders and enders (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/practicing-leaders-enders-t54250.html)

B. Louise 07-13-2010 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I've been reading and learning from all your ideas. I want to improve the accuracy of my 1/4 in. seam. When I sew clothing, I "fudge" the seam allowance to get the fit I want. Eating too much? make the seams allowances smaller. So, I've starched some scraps (another new concept for me) and cut them into squares. I'm trying to get into the leader-ender habit. That will keep me remembering just where that 1/4 in. seam is. And in about 40 yrs, maybe I'll have an Irish chain quilt!

The blouse I'm making with ender squares
[ATTACH=CONFIG]77540[/ATTACH]

amma 07-13-2010 07:25 AM

Wonderful!!! I love that we end up with a finished project at the end with very little effort :D:D:D

b.zang 07-13-2010 07:25 AM

practice makes perfect - if there is such a thing

grann of 6 07-13-2010 07:30 AM

I use a 1/4" piecing foot. It has a metal finger that rides along the edge of the fabric. Hence, always 1/4". A cheaper and easy way to achieve the 1/4" is to use a short stack of post-it notes. Just measure from the needle to 1/4" away and stick the post-its down. Doesn't leave any residue either. I use this method when teaching my young students to seam anything.

craftybear 07-13-2010 07:32 AM

leaders and enders are fun and when you get done will have lots of small blocks to make another quilt, have fun!

raptureready 07-13-2010 07:34 AM

I only use 1/4" seams in quilting. For clothing I use 1/2", it seems to hold up better.

belmer 07-13-2010 09:11 AM

Leaders and enders are great. I have been doing this for over a year now, I have so many 2-1/2 inch squares piled up. I think I will start sewing them together this Fall, to see what I come up with.

Jackie R 07-13-2010 04:34 PM

What is a leader-ender please. Never heard that one before.

Thanks.

p38flygirl 07-13-2010 05:41 PM

I also want to know about leaders and enders..It sounds good..
p38flygirl

LindaM 07-13-2010 05:52 PM

The leaders - sew one pair of scraps together, chain-piece the fabrics you're working on, and at the end of the pieces you're putting together, use another pair of scraps chain-pieced to finish up.

I leave the 'ender' in my sewing machine - becomes my 'leader' for the next seam/chain.

I find this stops the beginning seam getting eaten by the feed dogs, stops the 'birds-nest' effect when threads wander and get caught up. It also stops me from wandering at the beginning or ending of my seams (I used to have terrible seams as I was getting to the end - veering off into a narrow seam). And the thread trimming is almost non-existent!

So, here's what I'm doing ...
- have a little container of scraps handy - 2" squares? strings or strips
- pick a light and dark, start a chain and piece these scraps
- the next pieces in the chain-piecing are the current project you're working on
- finish up with another pair of scraps - the ender- leave these ones under your machine foot (I leave it down, but the needle up). This one becomes my 'leader' for the next pieces I'm sewing.