Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   preping for jroll rug (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/preping-jroll-rug-t302202.html)

giquilt 01-14-2019 05:01 AM

Do you cut your Bosal precut strips down to 2 1/4?

quilterpurpledog 01-14-2019 05:10 AM

Your descriptions encourage me to give it a try. I do plan to cut my own batting strips. Great use of scraps of batting.

grma33 01-14-2019 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by giquilt (Post 8192564)
Do you cut your Bosal precut strips down to 2 1/4?

i used the bosal and found it wasn`t very consistent started out more than 2.5 at the end it narrowed
i just smushed it in where it was larger than the stip
Gale

FRANCAN777 01-14-2019 05:35 AM

Looks great grma! Thanks for the referral.

Sallybear6 01-14-2019 07:44 AM

It will be so worth the effort. Hang in there :)

sue.ross.8782 01-14-2019 09:30 AM

Looks like a lot of work. Keep us updated.:thumbup:

Queenbarbiej 01-14-2019 12:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've made 2 of these rugs. One is oval and the second is round. I didn't use a full jelly roll. I think I ended up using about 28 strips in each one. I also cut my own batting strips. I didn't like how the round on turned out. I had a little bit of a bowl shape at the end. I will undo it until the part that is flat and re-stitch it. Here is a picture of the oval one.

Ellen 1 01-14-2019 12:53 PM

You did like I did and just cut fabric I already had. I saw no reason to spend $40.++ for a jelly roll when I have fabric just sitting around and will never be used up in my lifetime. :-). Yours was more planned than mine. I just grabbed and stitched. I like yours. :-)

Queenbarbiej 01-14-2019 01:00 PM

Ellen it would be lovely if you could show us a picture of yours. I'm sure it is very lovely.

Ellen 1 01-14-2019 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lena1952 (Post 8192556)
Like Joann, I have made several and taught classes on jellyroll rugs. I agree with everything she said. Darcyshannon: I think you misread Joann's post. She was saying she cut the batting 2 1/4" instead of 2 1/2". The fabric strips remain 2 1/2". This is what I do when using scraps of Warm and Natural batting. Cutting the batting slightly smaller than the fabric allows you to fold the fabric and still see the edges of the fabric. Having made them with leftover batting and the precut rug batting, I prefer the precut as it is a bit thinner batting. The rugs are not hard, but very time consuming. Just forget to press often during the process!

DarcyShannon, this is correct. I cut my batting narrower than the fabric strips. I felt like it covered the batting well and I did not have excess fabric folded into the strip when stitching it down on itself. I also like Donna on Jordan Fabrics way she stitched the strips down the center rather than on the edge. That helped flatten the entire folded strip after the edges were stitched together.

The only extra time spent on making these rugs is if you cut your own batting and strips. It was worth it for me to cut my own. I used up a shelf full of batting scraps that had been accumulating for several years. They were too narrow to use for hot pads, etc. and perfect to cut for the rugs. Same with the fabrics. I pulled fabrics out that I had purchased when I first started quilting (because they were cheap---this was before I learned to use QUALITY fabrics for quilts). I have been "passing over" these fabrics for years, knowing I did not care for them anymore. It was a good way to use them up. I will probably be making another rug for my downstairs bathroom.

My husband just said (literally 5 minutes ago) that I needed to purchase a rug "for company" to put their feet on (cold floors in bathroom). WHAT???????????????? Doesn't he know I "MAKE" things!!!!!! Like Rugs!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hahahahaha