Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Primitve Quilting??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/primitve-quilting-t157912.html)

LastGrandma 10-04-2011 08:03 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I was down in the SF Bay area for a couple of weeks visiting and helping my son move into and settle into his new gorgeous home. He encouraged me to help with the little things, once the majority of the unpacking was finished (and he went back to wrok), like make a curtain for the sliding glass door opening, place mats, pot holders, etc.

Well...I bought a cheap Singer machine, scissors, pins, thread, needles and then we took a trip to the fabric store. Since the colors in the kitchen/family room/dining area are red and brown (not MY colors), DS picked out two reds and brown fabrics for me to work with.

I really had to think out of the box to do anything...no rotary cutter or mat, no ruler of any kind...I called it primitive quilting! See for yourself ---

My cutting floor
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266215[/ATTACH]

The curtain for the sliding glass door
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266216[/ATTACH]

The pot holders in red and brown
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266217[/ATTACH]

The placemats
[ATTACH=CONFIG]266218[/ATTACH]

Airwick156 10-04-2011 08:09 AM

Wow you did alot while you were there. Who would have thought to use that fabric for a curtain...NOT me but I actually like it. And I never thought red and brown went together. LOL Not my colors either but they look cool. :)

sparkys_mom 10-04-2011 08:10 AM

Good job! Love his kitchen breakfast bar.

QUILTNMO 10-04-2011 08:11 AM

very nice you did a good job

cmagee84 10-04-2011 08:13 AM

Great job! Sometimes we are spoiled with all of our toys and forget how it used to be done!! :)

chrissyort 10-04-2011 08:17 AM

Wow, your son is one lucky man to have such a terrific mom! You did a fantastic job! Does the sliding door curtain match the rug, or is it just me? I love the red and brown together and they match perfectly. As they say "To each his own!"

suebee 10-04-2011 08:19 AM

Absolutely perfect! What a sweet Mom :)

Originally Posted by LastGrandma
I was down in the SF Bay area for a couple of weeks visiting and helping my son move into and settle into his new gorgeous home. He encouraged me to help with the little things, once the majority of the unpacking was finished (and he went back to wrok), like make a curtain for the sliding glass door opening, place mats, pot holders, etc.

Well...I bought a cheap Singer machine, scissors, pins, thread, needles and then we took a trip to the fabric store. Since the colors in the kitchen/family room/dining area are red and brown (not MY colors), DS picked out two reds and brown fabrics for me to work with.

I really had to think out of the box to do anything...no rotary cutter or mat, no ruler of any kind...I called it primitive quilting! See for yourself ---

sewmuchmore 10-04-2011 08:23 AM

You are a brave person :-P not sure I could have done that, you are a awesom mom :thumbup: :thumbup:

blueangel 10-04-2011 08:25 AM

Great job

valleyquiltermo 10-04-2011 08:25 AM

GREAT JOB, VERY Lucky son.
I guess we all need a lesson in what to do when our toys are at home and were called upon to make something without them. I did about the same thing in Seattle for my son.
Got a cheap machine and some sissors and went to work.
We are quilters we will survive, LOL ;-)