Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilt design idea in the works (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-design-idea-works-t34696.html)

QuiltingGrannie 01-21-2010 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a quilt design I came up with for my girlfriend who asked me to make her a quilt. Her only requirements were that the TX state flag be the center, and that I use blue bonnet fabric in it somewhere.
The colors in my drawing are not the true colors as the reds and drk blue will be to match the flag's true colors. The lighter blue is were the blue bonnet will be going.
I hope she likes it. It will be 100" x 100" over all. BIG project for my second bed quilt!
The corners are going to be variations of 9 patch work.

Ditter43 01-21-2010 07:12 AM

Looks great to me!! Be sure to show us the finished quilt!!!

Ditter

BKinCO 01-21-2010 07:17 AM

I love it! Make sure to share pics of it with us!!!

QuiltingGrannie 01-21-2010 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by Ditter43

Ditter

I will, but that will be a long way off. She needs to approve it, I need to find the material I want to use, then send her a price of it start to finish and then when she pays me I will start on it. I've done other work for her (Wood burning art) and she left me sit with the last one. I still have it. It's a wood burn of her grandson at only a few months old but who is now 7 years old or older.

Although, I may just do it anyway only a bit smaller? for me!

QBeth 01-21-2010 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie

Ditter

I will, but that will be a long way off. She needs to approve it, I need to find the material I want to use, then send her a price of it start to finish and then when she pays me I will start on it. I've done other work for her (Wood burning art) and she left me sit with the last one. I still have it. It's a wood burn of her grandson at only a few months old but who is now 7 years old or older.

First off, make her pay up front for the fabric! At least then, you'll get something for your effort.

Secondly, I'm a bit confused. Is your drawing of a block where many blocks will be sewn together for the quilt or, is this a drawing of the finished quilt? If its the finished quilt, I'd worry a bit about scale -- you'll have two (or four) long sides with no piecing to break up the expanse. Do you plan on some fancy quilting design for those areas?

QuiltingGrannie 01-21-2010 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by QBeth

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie

Ditter

First off, make her pay up front for the fabric! At least then, you'll get something for your effort.

Secondly, I'm a bit confused. Is your drawing of a block where many blocks will be sewn together for the quilt or, is this a drawing of the finished quilt? If its the finished quilt, I'd worry a bit about scale -- you'll have two (or four) long sides with no piecing to break up the expanse. Do you plan on some fancy quilting design for those areas?

It is just a rough draft of the design for the whole quilt. I plan of using 9 patch for a lot of it. I used graph paper to create the pattern, with each square being a 2.5 inch finished piece. The long strips are (both the red and white strips will be 5 inches wide but be two strips of 2.5 inch each wide). The white hearts will also be pieced of 2.5 inch squares not just one big piece.

Does that help or confuse more?

I did just hear from by gf and she and her husband like the design and the placement of the flag. So now on to deciding on the fabric and pricing it. She knows I want paid up front.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-21-2010 01:03 PM

looks nice.

littlehud 01-21-2010 07:35 PM

That is going to be a great quilt. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Share it with us please.

QuiltingGrannie 01-22-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by littlehud
That is going to be a great quilt. I can't wait to see the finished quilt. Share it with us please.

I will definitely share when I get it going. I'm now in search of blue bonnet floral fabric to use in it. Anyone with suggestions? I found it on line in shops in TX but am still searching for other sources.

kd124 01-24-2010 11:13 PM

Pretty design.