Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   The Quilt that Jenny will Never Get (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-jenny-will-never-get-t115427.html)

jillaine 04-11-2011 07:02 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Attended my first batmitzvah and was quite moved by the young people sharing a lesson. The girl we were there fore-- Jenny-- wore purple and spoke about her love of the color.

I was moved to make a quilt for her-- something that combined purple as well as her faith.

I found the first image. I liked it because it subtly communicates the star of David without being an overtly Jewish design.

Then I went through my stash and pulled out all my purples, and I started making the pieced diamonds. The second photo is my design wall with the diamonds put up.

I really really dislike the results. It's clear that at least for this design, prints-- or at least the prints I had on hand-- do not do as well as batiks and other abstract prints.

Any advice? Suggestions for something else to do with these diamonds.

Or more likely: anyone want these pieces and the uncut fabric that goes with them? I know I'm not going to finish this particular quilt.

The design I worked from
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183019[/ATTACH]

The diamonds I made but won't use
[ATTACH=CONFIG]183020[/ATTACH]

Sandee 04-11-2011 07:05 PM

sent PM

LindaMRB 04-11-2011 07:10 PM

I think you are right that the colors don't quite capture the jewel-like quality of the sample. The calicos/florals don't have the same impact.

Does the image on the screen match your real fabrics? They seem muted and maybe even washed out on my computer screen...

gaigai 04-11-2011 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by LindaMRB
I think you are right that the colors don't quite capture the jewel-like quality of the sample. The calicos/florals don't have the same impact.

Does the image on the screen match your real fabrics? They seem muted and maybe even washed out on my computer screen...

A design like that needs really bold, bright jewel tones. I think your actual fabric colors are too washed out for the design. But the design itself is beautiful!

jillaine 04-11-2011 08:26 PM

My photo is definitely washed out; the colors are much richer, but no where near as rich as the jewel tones of the first image. Sigh.
Another lesson learned.

jillaine 04-11-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Sandee
sent PM

I don't see a PM from you.

dogsgod 04-12-2011 02:45 AM

I like it. Sure it's different than the original, but it has it's own appeal, try to put the bright on out of your mind and think softer!

Rebecca VLQ 04-12-2011 02:51 AM

Yeahhhhhh...very good effort but I think there's not enough of a focus. Does it want to be a blue tone quilt? Does it want to be a purple quilt? Does it want to be a red quilt?

The example is AMAZING with the jewel tones, but I think you could pull it off with a more subdued palette. You just need to narrow the field of color, and maybe play with the tone instead?

Lindsey 04-12-2011 03:31 AM

I think you should finish it and just donate it. Its not as bright as the sample but it is still going to be really nice. someone will love it. I know i do.

Pitty Pat 04-12-2011 03:49 AM

Add some solid diamonds to the design and finish it and donate it to a charity of your choice. Someone will definitely appreciate it.