Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A quilt show of vintage treasures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-show-vintage-treasures-t309880.html)

nanna-up-north 02-23-2020 08:50 AM

A quilt show of vintage treasures

5 Attachment(s)
When we stopped to see family on our way back to Michigan from Texas, a cousin handed me 3 boxes of quilt block pieces and 6 quilt tops her great grandmother made before her death in 1962. No one from that side of the family still quilted so they were put away and not found until the cousin was cleaning out her mom's house. She handed them to me as we were leaving and said, 'do whatever you think you should do with them'. Well, I know what to do. I will quilt the tops and label them for this cousin and her girls. They should be treasures for them and they are so happy to have discovered them. I am honored to be the one to finish them up.

The first top is some kind of stars but I don't know the name of the block. There are actually 2 of those tops plus one of the boxes is full of more stars, enough to do another top.

The second quilt is a double wedding ring.

I don't know the name of the third quilt block. Does anyone know what this one is?

The fourth top is a Grandmother's flower garden. The hexis are about 1 inch across and I'll have to finish up the flowers at the top and bottom.

I think the name of the last top is 'Around the World'.

I don't know the age of these tops. Some have feed sack fabric between the printed fabrics and I plan on using some white feed sack fabrics for backing on those to keep them true to their age. I will machine quilt them because I want to get them done in a shorter time for the cousin's family. Thanks for looking. If you can help me identify the age of the fabrics or the names of the blocks I don't know, I'd sure appreciate it. It's such a treasure to have found these.

toogie 02-23-2020 09:17 AM

What a treasure this family has been holding on to, saving for just the right person to finish them with the perfect thought and care. I have to say I'm always partial to Grandmother's Flower Garden, but what a blessing to have any one of these. I'm not that familiar with some of the quilt names, so can't help you out there. You are a dear to finish all these for your love ones.

AlaskaAlice 02-23-2020 09:18 AM

They are beautiful!! They look like some my mother-in-law made in 50's and 60's..but I have some that were made in my youth..30's and 40's..I can not see them close up so it is hard to tell.

Christine- 02-23-2020 09:18 AM

Wow, those are lovely! They are truly a treasure.

QuiltnNan 02-23-2020 09:43 AM

beautiful treasures!

Tartan 02-23-2020 09:46 AM

Wow, what a bunch of great tops! They will be treasures once you get them finished!

juliasb 02-23-2020 09:53 AM

How exciting! To have these treasures in your hands if even for a short time it is still so thrilling! I am so sure they will be much loved by these cousins when you get them back to the family. I know you are treasuring the moment.

Hooligan 02-23-2020 10:05 AM

Great looking quilt tops there and a gift to receive them. Such a nice thing to finish up after all this time, they deserve it.
Respect :thumbup:

broomstix 02-23-2020 10:31 AM

great treasures. very wonderful of you to finish theses.
your first quilt is a kite quilt . have the pattern here some where.
on my bucket list.
your third have seen in a book , can't recall the name.

selm 02-23-2020 10:42 AM

Wow, those are all so pretty. I think the last one is called "Boston Common". Trip around the world is a diamond pattern layout.
It is so nice of you to finish these for the family.