Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   this quilt was such a challenge! i'm so glad i managed to get it done (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-such-challenge-im-so-glad-i-managed-get-done-t227459.html)

ckcowl 08-07-2013 12:17 PM

this quilt was such a challenge! i'm so glad i managed to get it done

2 Attachment(s)
a friend asked me to make a quilt for her to give as a gift to someone- she wanted an oriental theme with colors ivory, black & hot pink. I found it very difficult - so outside my comfort zone I didn't think I would be able to pull it off- this Irish girl has no experience working with anything oriental ;)..anyway- I got the top together & laid it out to show my hubby & he HATES it! generally he is very supportive- but not this time- this time he just says---"it makes no sense- 'I just don't like it".. I found that pretty stressful too- but I loaded it up & quilted it anyway- hoping my friend sees it differently- finished quilting it this morning before work- I did a lot of detail quilting on this baby- (btw-it is a large queen) it was the first time I have successfully used invisible thread to quilt a whole quilt (cream cotton thread on the back- invisible on the front) now I just need to bind it- I think i'm going to use the deep pink for the binding. doing the binding will be the only part of this I like- I've always liked the binding part- means it is finally finished- I will be happy when this one goes away.:p off to much more enjoyable projects.

alikigirl 08-07-2013 12:25 PM

Oh I love it. It looks very modern.

bearisgray 08-07-2013 12:30 PM

It is definitely one of a kind.

I do like the color combination.

qbtexas 08-07-2013 12:37 PM

It's gorgeous! Tough to go outside the comfort zone, but you grow as a quilter that way. I think she's going to be very happy with it!

patski 08-07-2013 12:59 PM

I like it a lot. May not be your kind of quilt but its' wonderful and I'll bet she will love it. I agree its' good to do things we may not like but it teaches us new ideas!

Misty's Mom 08-07-2013 01:09 PM

It's different, but interesting. Congratulations on finishing it even though it was out of your comfort zone.

nativetexan 08-07-2013 01:14 PM

That quilt is wonderful! you did a great job on it. especially with your not liking it. and Husband's don't have to like every quilt. especially since it's not staying in your house. I'd take it in a minute!!

Gannyrosie 08-07-2013 01:59 PM

You must be a good friend. I like challenges even though they test my last nerve, but the overwhelming outcome out ways that frustration. She will love it. It is beautifully done.

ArtsyOne 08-07-2013 02:16 PM

I think it's a gorgeous work of art! It must have been difficult to plan the floating blocks and especially the diagonal line and applique. You did a wonderful job considering it was so out of your comfort zone.

leatheflea 08-07-2013 02:29 PM

Out of your comfort zone! Looks like you knew exactly what you were doing! Looks great, what does hubby know anyway...when was the last time he made a quilt?