Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   This quilt touched my heart. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-touched-my-heart-t290207.html)

mcdaniel023 08-05-2017 05:27 PM

This quilt touched my heart.

2 Attachment(s)
I stopped at an estate/moving sale. The home owner was holding a beautiful quilt. I admired it and she started telling the story of the quilt. It was made by her grandmother. Her father owned it next. The quilt had been hers for 63 years, She said she had it out on a rocker for a few years and then became a cat owner. She didn't want anything to happen to it so it was wrapped in a sheet and stored in her closet. She only had it out a few times. She said she was trying to sell it by no one seemed interested. She was open to offers. She was sorry that she only knew the history back to 1902. I made an offer. She accepted. She said the quilt was part of her history and she loved it but couldn't take everything. She looked so sad. Her tears rolled as she put it in a bag. I was crying, other customers were crying. I asked if she was sure and she took my hand and said that just by seeing the way I held it she knew it would be loved. I promised her it would. It already is. There are a few yellow spots. No holes or tears. The triangle are about an inch tall. I can't imaging how long it took for her grandmother to piece it and the quilting is amazing. I am still sad for her. But I am thrilled to own this beautiful piece of art.

SusieQOH 08-05-2017 05:36 PM

That's one of the most gorgeous quilts I've seen in a very long time. I can't stop looking at it. I love antique quilts more than any other.
The story was indeed sad, but she knew you would treasure it. Thanks for posting this.
PS. I can't even half imagine all that work. WOW

lynnie 08-05-2017 05:39 PM

what a nice story to go with it, and it is beautiful!

bearisgray 08-05-2017 05:42 PM

It is a beautiful quilt.

I feel sad for the previous owner - but I am reasonably sure that her heart is eased a bit by knowing that the new owner (you) will care for it.

patsan 08-05-2017 06:22 PM

Gorgeous quilt! I feel bad for the woman.

QuiltnNan 08-05-2017 06:48 PM

beautiful quilt!

dunster 08-05-2017 06:50 PM

Can you make a label with the family name and that story on it and attach it to the quilt, so its history will never be lost? It's such a beautiful quilt.

zozee 08-05-2017 07:07 PM

That's a beautiful quilt! I've never seen anything quite like it, and surely can't imagine all that work--just cutting all the pieces, let alone the rest. I'm sad for her loss but glad for your gain. I know you'll treasure it.

minibarn 08-05-2017 07:16 PM

That is a beautiful quilt, but sad story. Personally I would have left something else behind and taken the quilt...it surely would not take up that much room. I know you will care for it as it has been until now, glad you got it.

cashs_mom 08-05-2017 07:21 PM

Okay, that made me all teary. What a wonderful story and a beautiful quilt.