Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilt of Valor Foundation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilt-valor-foundation-t242338.html)

KathyC9511 03-02-2014 06:24 AM

Quilt of Valor Foundation

1 Attachment(s)
I am a member of a quilt guild in my area. We have around 200 members. As with other area guilts, we make charity quilts for nursing homes, Project Linus quilts, etc. started quilting about 10 years ago when my daughter was expecting her first child. I have found over the years that quilting is my passion. I have expanded my skills and about year took the plunge to purchase a Handi Quilter sit down quilting machine.

Our guild brings in a speaker once a month. They each have a wealth of knowledge to share with us and we all leave with a new challenge in quilting. Toward the end of last year our speaker was with the Quilt of Valor Foundation. This soft spoken petite lady told us stories about our men and women returning from active duty in Iraq and Afghanistan who had been seriously wounded. She had a family background of military family members, her husband retired from the military and a son who recently served.

She spoke of her frequent visits to military hospitals throughout the state where she and few other members of the foundation would present quilts of valor made by generous quilters throughout the Texas area. There was not a dry eye in the auditorium. At the end of the meeting she asked each quilt member to make a quilt of valor for the organization. The ladies in my individual bee (8 ladies) decided to accept her challenge to make a quilt. We all started going through our stash of patriotic fabric and started planning our individual quilts.

We turned in 6 finished quilts in January. We were told that over 200 quilts had been turned in from quilters in the Houston area. They were going to be delivered to soldiers in a military hospital in February.

Last Friday I attended a quilt show in Houston. The Quilt of Valor Foundation had a booth there. Much to my surprise my quilt was on display! I talked to the area foundation director and she told me my quilt along with 13 others will be heading to Afghanistan this Wednesday. They will be given to 14 seriously wounded soldiers awaiting transport to Germany for months of extensive medical care. Her words brought me to tears knowing that my quilt would bring such comfort to a young man who has experience so much in his short life.

I have yet to enter a quilt in a quilt show. I plan on entering several in our 2015 quilt show. Walking around the quilt show on Friday admiring all the beautiful quilts got me excited about possibly winning a ribbon in 2015.

But after getting the news about my quilt going to Afghanistan, I realized I was already a winner and what I had done for this wounded soldier was the best possible recognition I could ever receive for the labor of love I put into that quilt. That day I set a new precident for what is important in my life.

I implore each of you to consider making a quilt of valor. You can find more information at The Quilt of Valor Foundation. There is no better way to show appreciation to the US soldier, both men and women, who have given so much for our freedom. I hav already started quilt number 2.

jenOSU 03-02-2014 06:35 AM

Our small quilt guild of 12 made 3 QOV this year. Not sure where they went but I want to start making one a year myself. I love your quilt pictured....

anothernancy 03-02-2014 06:37 AM

Wonderful organization. I have been collecting fabrics to make quilts for them.

SheriR 03-02-2014 06:53 AM

That's wonderful. What an honor for you, but your quilt does look awesome!

Annz 03-02-2014 07:29 AM

Wow that is really impressive.

Bobbielinks 03-02-2014 09:07 AM

Kathy, reading your post has tears running down my cheek; tears of happiness in your commitment to make quilts for QOV. Thank you for the inspiration to get started on one that I can donate to QOV. Last Sunday my first grandson was sworn into the Marines and left for San Diago.

Vivian Ketron 03-02-2014 10:09 AM

I made 2. One went to a grandson of a friend of mine and the other to a son of one of my friends. They were so happy to receive them.

gertz 03-02-2014 10:31 AM

Our small group (4) have made 5 quiltys and several blocks sent to QOV for putting together and quilting

pw6 03-02-2014 12:41 PM

give me info I am in the dAllas area. I do not belong to any guild or anything but have lots of fabric and a quilter and can do things like this.. my hubby is retired military also...

lfstamper 03-02-2014 12:45 PM

WOW what a nice acknowledgement for your generosity!