Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilted and appliqued soft cover book (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilted-appliqued-soft-cover-book-t242540.html)

EmiliasNana 03-04-2014 03:31 PM

Quilted and appliqued soft cover book

7 Attachment(s)
I made TWO of these for our two grandsons. It was so much fun drawing from my stash to pick appropriate fabrics, but making 52 pages got a bit daunting. All that is left to do is add the 4 buttonholes to EACH page, bind with a shoe string and make a carrying handle on the spine.
The pattern is from SEW BABY, purchased at JoAnn's entitled, Alphabet Cloth Book. I backed each page with fusible fleece, then appliqued. Enjoy!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465721[/ATTACH]

closed books with magnetic closure

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465722[/ATTACH]

opened cover to show label on the back

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465723[/ATTACH]

inside of front cover (apple has 3-D leaf, zipper was a 4" doll zipper)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465724[/ATTACH]

Kite tail bows are sewn on under the kite tail and then knotted.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465725[/ATTACH]

Some of the appliques are padded to give more dimension.
The quilt is pieced, backed, quilted and bound with a label on the back
I substituted a horse, for the hand (kids coloring book page in the internet)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465726[/ATTACH]

I used Texture Magic to create the tree, flowers are Yo-yo's, envelope photo is attached with a short ribbon and is of the recipient and latches with Velcro.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]465727[/ATTACH]

I used rip-stop nylon for the umbrella; Minky on dog muzzle, inside ears and frog belly; 3-D yo-yo, and a fake fur bear.
I don't know if I had more fun making them, or they will playing with them.
All of the appliques could be used for blocks on a quilt instead.

lynnie 03-04-2014 03:37 PM

wow, awesome, I love it. what a treasure you made for the boys. amazing. so nicely done.

Monika 03-04-2014 03:37 PM

How cute! And what a lot of work. I am sure they will have hours and hours of fun with those.

tapper 03-04-2014 03:37 PM

This is awesome! A lot of work but a treasure for the recipients. You did a fantastic job.

lynnie 03-04-2014 03:38 PM

maybe you should put a chaine on these books, don't let them out in public, people old and young will want these books. I want one for myself, they came out great. had to look at it more than once. fantastic

Tartan 03-04-2014 03:40 PM

​Sew adorable and sew well done!

Grandma Bonnie 03-04-2014 03:54 PM

Wonder for books for the boys! They will really get a lot of fun (and some learning) out of them! Great job!

carolina quilter 03-04-2014 03:58 PM

You are hereby nominated for "Grandma of the Year" award! Awesome...

peaceandjoy 03-04-2014 04:02 PM

Those are adorable. What a fantastic thing to give your grandchildren; I'm sure they will be loved and cherished!

Kathy T. 03-04-2014 04:10 PM

Those books are priceless! You have made some treasures ...