Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilting New Years Resolution (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilting-new-years-resolution-t259367.html)

749janet 01-08-2015 08:02 AM

Quilting New Years Resolution

3 Attachment(s)
One of my New Year Resolutions was to get my quilting scraps organized. I am a scrappy quilter and buy most of my material from the Good Will, Thrift Stores, garage sales or Craig’s List—seldom do I buy brand new material.<o:p></o<o:p></oHere is how I organize my material: If it is less than a yard and doesn’t have a lot of “cuts” in it I’ll fold it up, anything over a yard I wrap on cardboards. I’ll let my scrap material pile up in a large box and then when it gets full I cut it up into quilt pieces. I have several quilt patterns that use the same size pieces, so my standard size pieces are: 2-1/2” squares, 2-1/2” x 3-1/2”, and 2-1/2 x 4-1/2”. Anything left over from the material I’m cutting gets cut into a 1-1/2” square and is put into my on going “postage stamp squares” container. The container measures 15” x 22” (I didn’t want you to think it was just a shoe box size). I LOVE making postage stamp quilts! ! All of the quilts I make are couch size throws and measure approx. 42” x60”. <o:p></o<o:p></oI put the right amount of pieces for each quilt that I’m making into a zip lockbag along with the name of the quilt and how many pieces of each size is needed. Right now I can file these away until I’m ready to start on them. <o:p></o

Luv Quilts and Cats 01-08-2015 08:11 AM

I like the way you organize your pieces. I have a question on Postage Stamp quilts: do you sew the pieces by hand or machine? Is it hard to sew such small pieces on a machine?

tessagin 01-08-2015 08:13 AM

I've been putting my 1 1/2" squares into my bin for dog beds. Usually the odd shaped ones. Hard for me to handle the smaller squares. I also have pieces for different quilts cut up but I use the clear containers I've only been able to find at Michael"s. I usually get them on sale for around $4. I can include the pattern with it. Fits in my sewing tote.

SheriR 01-08-2015 08:16 AM

Wow I'm impressed. I have a bin of 2.5" squares. Bagging them into "kits" would really help, especially if I was doing it as a leader/ender project.

PenniF 01-08-2015 08:24 AM

How about coming over to my house and organizing me???? My scraps are in a LARGE plastic bin, zipper bags from buying sheets, paper sacks and tote bags. I sure could use your help !!

EmiliasNana 01-08-2015 08:33 AM

HOLY COW. I love organization but you are the winner. Would love to have your system. I have projects organized by fabrics and in zipper lock bags with the pattern, but my scraps of less than FQ size just keep growing and growing with each quilt I make. I started cutting them into 2 1/2" strips, 2 1/2" sqs. and 5" sqs. but it got so tedious. Maybe your post will inspire me to keep going.

fred singer 01-08-2015 08:56 AM

wow awesome job

francie yuhas 01-08-2015 08:58 AM

What are your favorite patterns? You are inspiring.

749janet 01-08-2015 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats (Post 7038803)
I like the way you organize your pieces. I have a question on Postage Stamp quilts: do you sew the pieces by hand or machine? Is it hard to sew such small pieces on a machine?

I sew my postage stamp quilts on the sewing machine. I make up a block of 36 pieces (6 across and 6 down). Once I get all the blocks made I can arrange them as to how to sew them together. Doing it this way helps to balance the colors out on the over all quilt.

Nammie to 7 01-08-2015 09:42 AM

Great system!