Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilting a pantograph from the back on a sit down (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilting-pantograph-back-sit-down-t312353.html)

EmiliasNana 09-04-2020 07:33 AM

Quilting a pantograph from the back on a sit down

2 Attachment(s)
I have a Tiara II so the size of the throat isn't a problem, but being a sit down I can't do a pantograph easily. I finished Fancy Forest for our grandson in April and really, really, wanted to do a vertical wood grain for quilting. Guiding a long vertical free hand would have been difficult to keep aligned so I resorted to purchasing a pantograph from Urban Elementz. I started out by marking vertical lines the width of the pantograph on the length of the backing, with the first 9" width in the center, and measuring out from either side. The backing was plain enough to be able to trace the pantograph using my light box and Crayola Ultra-Wash fine line markers. When I sandwiched it on our ping pong table it was easy to align the center of the sides on the backing with the center of the sides on the quilt. I then quilted from the BACK to follow my traced lines and here is the result. I am more than happy. It took me 2 days of tracing and 2 days of quilting, but it was worth the effort to achieve the desired look.
Attachment 627597 Attachment 627598
The first picture shows my tracing lines before washing, but after quilting on the backing. The second picture shows the finished quilt on our king sized bed. It measures 67" x 91". I had no difficulty removing the traced lines in the washing machine on cold.

Barb in Louisiana 09-04-2020 08:48 AM

The panto you chose was perfect. It looks like you have been doing this forever.

QuiltingVagabond 09-04-2020 09:06 AM

Looks great, I have quilted from the back a couple of times on my Sweet 16 as well with good results.

Iceblossom 09-04-2020 09:30 AM

What a nice choice of quilting design for the complicated piecing, I love those Elizabeth Hartman and similar designs but the quilting choice has always prevented me. Maybe my Hazel the Hedgehog fabrics I kitted out long ago might get done...

I've been dealing with Urban Elementz for years, its my first stop when I'm looking at quilting designs. Think I've had it bookmarked on my last 3 computers as a way to date things. Patricia is pretty accommodating in custom sizing her own designs if she can, technology keeps changing and how we do things now is different than 10 years ago.

I've also quilted from the back a couple of time for various reasons, usually to follow a large scale design. Is always tense for me that my tension stays good but when it does I like the results.

juliasb 09-04-2020 10:01 AM

You did a great job aligning the panto and getting the affect you wanted to achieve. Well done!! I haven't worked with any pantos for awhile. My Grace Frame and machine are down right now. I must get it working again. I am impressed with your work.

toogie 09-04-2020 12:17 PM

Beautiful quilting on a pretty creature top! Love your piecing and the quilting design. Although I have a sit down, I’m not familiar with how quilting designs or ‘pantograph’s’ work. Is this like a plastic stencil sheet?

granky 09-04-2020 12:25 PM

What a novel (and great!) idea! Love the quilting....it certainly was worth the time and trouble!

rryder 09-04-2020 02:06 PM

You did a great job. The wood grain looks great with the owls. Loved reading about your process for using a pantograph with a sit-down.

Rob

Jordan 09-04-2020 03:16 PM

Very nice quilt and your quilting is just so beautifully done

Tartan 09-04-2020 03:52 PM

Great quilt and quilting!