Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilting pattern - how to decide? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilting-pattern-how-decide-t24452.html)

redkimba 08-21-2009 10:05 AM

When you go to put a quilt together and quilt it, how do you decide what to do for the quilting part?

grandmavonne 08-21-2009 11:19 AM

I wait untill my quilt top is finished then I study it and try to envision what quilting designs would go well with it. I've just finished piecing a Sunbonnet Sue and have decided to stipple around the little girls to make them stand out more. Will decide later what to do in the sashing and borders.I just sorta let it all come together.I almost never have a set plan for the quilting.

mytwopals 08-21-2009 11:22 AM

I just try to imagine, which designs will look best with the pattern. The quilt will usually scream, which type of patterns to use, if not the exact pattern. Another thing to consider, is what thread to use for the quilting. Whether you want to quilting to be prominent or subdued.

Jim's Gem 08-21-2009 11:41 AM

It's my biggest challenge. I have a hard time figuring out the best way to quilt something.

katier825 08-21-2009 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by mytwopals
I just try to imagine, which designs will look best with the pattern. The quilt will usually scream, which type of patterns to use, if not the exact pattern. Another thing to consider, is what thread to use for the quilting. Whether you want to quilting to be prominent or subdued.

I have a couple if tops that I am stumped on...they must be mute...no screaming at my house! LOL

I am just learning free motion, so I am anxious to give it a go on a "real" quilt. The walking foot is great, but I think I'm bored with stitch in the ditch. I picked up several books from the library in hopes of being inspired. I love quilt magazines, but they focus more on the patchwork and less on the quilting.

mytwopals 08-21-2009 12:37 PM

Post a picture of the quilt(s) and ask for suggestions from the board. I'm sure you'll get more than one excellent design choice from the members here.

katier825 08-21-2009 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by mytwopals
Post a picture of the quilt(s) and ask for suggestions from the board. I'm sure you'll get more than one excellent design choice from the members here.

Here are a couple that stump me. I was thinking something curvy, but simple. I practice a bit, but do not have much experience with free motion yet.

katier825 08-22-2009 10:25 AM

anyone have any easy free motion quilting suggestions for my pics above? I don't really want to just stitch in the ditch.

Iluv2quilt 08-22-2009 10:56 AM

All I do is SITD so can't help you there, but your quilts are sure pretty! I usually take my quilts to the quilter and then decide there what should be done, sometimes I just leave it up to her, she's really good.