Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilting on a Treadle (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilting-treadle-t32992.html)

Blockhead 01-02-2010 08:47 PM

I have attempted this, and the only reason my quilt is not 'quite right' is because when I did it I had no idea how to quilt! I bought a pattern and some fabric and away I went.

I bet there are a few treadle quilters out there - how about giving us a few tips on techniques please?

Blockhead 01-02-2010 08:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Anyway, here is my treadle attempt. I completed most of the blocks on 2 treadles, but because of tension problems, I did a few on a featherweight. All vintage machines at least.

The design is callee Pleated Log Cabin. Here are the blocks, all rather wonky. I've not sewn them together because, at the time, I didn't know how to approach it :oops: Now I have a clue, I just haven't gotten around to it.

omak 01-02-2010 08:57 PM

Goodness!!!
You did that on a treadle??? you will be getting a lot of responses, I am betting ...
that is one impressive quilt! <wave>

amma 01-02-2010 09:00 PM

WOW!!! That is awesome :D:D:D
I love the focus fabrics that you have used!!!
That is some fancy treadle work :D:D:D

Blockhead 01-02-2010 09:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The blocks were made on these machines

Singer 27 dated 1897
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62637[/ATTACH]

Singer Class 15 dated 1907
[ATTACH=CONFIG]62638[/ATTACH]

Leota 01-02-2010 09:04 PM

WOW!... That is beautiful ... even if you think it's wonky... I hope you continue using the treadles for piecing... that's awesome work.. Congratulations

omak 01-02-2010 09:05 PM

They are so beautiful!
I saw the other day where Janome is making a treadle machine ... I may have to research it - - it sounds practical and fun!
as far as quilting ... you have the piecing downpat ... are you considering doing free motion quilting? (difficult if you can't keep the feed dogs from interfering) or are you considering just straightline quilting?
Without knowing your level of experience, it is pretty hard to know where to start helping ... or are you actually just wanting input about the treadle part?

azam 01-02-2010 11:45 PM

love your quilt! I have a treadle that belonged to my mom. That's what I learned to sew on when I was about 9 years old.

SulaBug 01-03-2010 12:00 AM

Your Quilt is "AWESOME"!! :thumbup: I love the black & white fabric, it is so unique. I am also tickeled that you sewed it on your treadle. I received a treadle for my Christmas this year & can't wait to sew a project on it. Thank you for the inspiration!!
I am so glad that you shared your quilt with all of us!!
:D :D :D :D

ScubaK 01-03-2010 12:18 AM

I really like your machines and I would think that these old machines would be great to quilt on since they have such a large harp area, unlike newer machines of today...get busy and put those blocks together into a usable quilt. They look fantastic and a great job!
Kirsten