Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Quilts for Hurricane Sandy Victims (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/quilts-hurricane-sandy-victims-t209354.html)

Krystyna 12-27-2012 05:48 AM

Quilts for Hurricane Sandy Victims

10 Attachment(s)
When we lost our home and almost everything in it, Quilt Board members were fast and generous with coming to our aid. But they didn't stop there. Dotcomdtcm organized what amounted to a nationwide quilting bee. There were so many donations of completed quilts and many quilt tops and Grann of 6 was glued to her long arm for days. Linny made the most adorable stuffed animals. And then they all came into the apartment we were blessed to find.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384260[/ATTACH]

We were busy giving out quilts for many days ... and we're still not done! But at the top of my list was my neighbor and the five foster kids who made our neighborhood a happy place to live. When you see their smiles below, I think you'll know why.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384250[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]384251[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]384252[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]384253[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]384254[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384255[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]384256[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]384258[/ATTACH]

My next stop was going to be my old parish which serves many destitute people. I called to make an appointment to give them some quilts but was told "We're not accepting donations of clothing any more." I tried to explain ... "QUILTS! i have QUILTS not KILTS!"
:D

I finally gave up and called an old friend who is the Executive Director of the Long Beach Housing Authority. Besides the housing they offer, he also oversees Section 8 housing and, sad to say, many of the landlords have failed to make repairs after the flood, leaving many of the city's poorest in terrible shape. They will soon have some nice warm quilts to give comfort. The two we are holding up are earmarked for some special people I know from our local fishing pier and they were being picked up last night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]384259[/ATTACH]

Again, thank you so much to everyone who participated in this effort. You are amazing!

MamaBear61 12-27-2012 05:55 AM

What a wonderful Christmas story. Something to help cheer people who have little and bring them hope for what is yet to come. Thanks for sharing.

quiltinggirl 12-27-2012 05:59 AM

The kids are absolutely adorable!! What a blessing people can be to those who are in need!! Thank you for sharing this encouraging story and may God bless you and yours as you begin to rebuild after the storm.

nunnyJo 12-27-2012 06:10 AM

blessings to you

Pennyquilter88 12-27-2012 06:18 AM

How wonderful! Thanks for showing the quilts and animals to us.

PaperPrincess 12-27-2012 06:21 AM

Great story, and the models are so cute!!!

QuiltnNan 12-27-2012 06:23 AM

thanks for sharing some of the recipients' happy faces.

tutt 12-27-2012 06:25 AM

What happy smiling faces! Fills my heart with joy! Thank you for your kindness.

Donnamarie 12-27-2012 06:34 AM

Thanks for sharing. The quilts are wonderful but I just love the group photo. The kids couldn't look any happier, very cute kids! Quilters are just the best!

red-warrior 12-27-2012 07:53 AM

Beautiful kids and quilts and animals!