Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   rag quilt table runners (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rag-quilt-table-runners-t4048.html)

JenLucas1981 01-14-2008 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by KATHY D
These are really cute... How big are your squares?

i cut them 6 inches and after i sew them they are 5 inches

dreamdanzzer 01-14-2008 06:01 PM

I think they are adorable and I'm going to have to give them a try one of these days.

rein 01-15-2008 06:16 PM

I love them and they would make great gifts - ANYTIME!
Thanks for the idea.
I am guessing they are all cotton? (not flannel?) There is a layer of ? and a backing of what?
This is stealing of ideas = I know but they are so cute................
Thanks. Rein

JenLucas1981 01-16-2008 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by rein
I love them and they would make great gifts - ANYTIME!
Thanks for the idea.
I am guessing they are all cotton? (not flannel?) There is a layer of ? and a backing of what?
This is stealing of ideas = I know but they are so cute................
Thanks. Rein

i just have 2 layers of cotton..one for the back and one for the front..that is all..other people put batting in the middle or even use flannel..but i dont just cotton.

Joan 01-16-2008 07:12 AM

Aren't you clever! What a great idea......
(Quilters are very creative people!) :lol:
Joan

vicki reno 01-16-2008 10:05 AM

Snowmen melt my heart. I do love them both though.

Feathers 01-16-2008 03:58 PM

How cool are these tablerunners? I love them. Thanks for sharing.
Feathers

dakotaquilter 01-16-2008 07:31 PM

Your ragtime quilt runner is soooo cute. I love to make the quilts. When we make the quilts we make the "sandwich" batting in between the material and sew an "X" to hold the 3 pieces together. If we were to use batting for a table runner would that X also be necessary - if not how would the batting stay in place? I am quite a novice at sewing but I am committed to master the art of quilting. Thanx again for sharing your runner. :)

Feathers 01-17-2008 07:27 AM

Hi DakotaQuilter:
I don't think you'd need batting in your tablerunner if you are using flannel. Using 2 layers of flannel will give the tablerunner a good weight/body without the bulk. Recently I took a class on making rag quilts and for the bear, dog, kitty quilts we used 3 layers of flannel so we had a nice "fringe" all the way around the quilt. This made for a heavy quilt but sure gave the edges of the bear a great look...I think you could use 2 or 3 layers of flannel and not worry about batting. If you layer your flannel blocks and sew 1 inch seams (the fringe) all around the blocks when sewing the blocks together I don't think you'd need the "X" through the block...especially since the tablerunner isn't going to have rough treatment like a quilt might have. The tablerunner will be laying flat on a table whereas a quilt is on a bed and gets wound around body and legs and gets pulled and tugged on.

Feathers

JenLucas1981 01-17-2008 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by dakotaquilter
Your ragtime quilt runner is soooo cute. I love to make the quilts. When we make the quilts we make the "sandwich" batting in between the material and sew an "X" to hold the 3 pieces together. If we were to use batting for a table runner would that X also be necessary - if not how would the batting stay in place? I am quite a novice at sewing but I am committed to master the art of quilting. Thanx again for sharing your runner. :)

not really..like feathers said it just lays on your table so you wouldnt need to..i make my batting the same size as my blocks so i dont need to..

thanks everyone for your comments!!