Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Rainbow Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rainbow-quilt-t305209.html)

Sephie 06-13-2019 07:04 AM

Rainbow Quilt

5 Attachment(s)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613779[/ATTACH]
It's done! Thanks to everyone who helped with advice about sandwiching a double batting. I ended up using 1 layer of Hobbs Heirloom cotton and 1 layer of Hobbs Polydown since I decided from everyone's advice that using a layer of Cloud Loft would be a bigger challenge than I really wanted to tackle. I glue basted the snot out of it and then put in what felt like a million pins too. First time using a poly batting and wow, so puffy!! It's awesome. I thought Baptist Fans looked like little rainbows all over the quilt so it was fitting.

(Side note: if you don't have a Kwik Klip for easy pinning, and you regularly pin, please get one!!! I didn't have one because I hate to pin, but bought one after the first day of trying to pin and good grief, so simple but makes such a difference)

I got a generic hopping foot for my new-to-me Janome 7700 after our previous discussion about how I hated the convertible gliding foot and wow again, big difference for me! Stitches were much more even and everything just seemed smoother even without having made a new foam insulation topper for this machine yet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613780[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613781[/ATTACH]
I backed it with a vintage sheet from Goodwill that has aged nicely in my stash. My 4yo felt the colorful flowers went nicely with the rainbow front, so I thought that was a win! She did tell me after the top was pieced that it didn't have any gold and she was sad, so she picked out one of my precious, hoarded gold metallic fabrics for the binding. Metallics are harder and harder to find these days, and so expensive when you do find them, so I had a bit of heart hurt using it on something where you only see so little of the print, but she loves the whole thing. Child has slept under it every day since completion.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613782[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]613783[/ATTACH]
They were so excited every step of the way that they had to jump and dance on it every time I brought it out to show them. 4yo says I now need to make one for the 2yo :D

Cheryl7758 06-13-2019 07:11 AM

Love It! Great job.

Mousie 06-13-2019 07:17 AM

this is such a lovely thread! How brave of you to sacrifice your precious
metallic for such a worthy cause mom. Their pure joy just makes my
day :) :thumbup: ;) :D

Mariposa 06-13-2019 07:26 AM

Happy dance going on! Great quilt. mom! :)

Tartan 06-13-2019 07:31 AM

Great quilt and quilting! It does the heart good to see them loving it!

Jordan 06-13-2019 08:15 AM

Beautiful quilt and so colorful. The children are sure enjoying it and dancing makes them happy obviously.

dunster 06-13-2019 08:27 AM

I agree with the 4 yo. The 2 yo needs one too! Such a beautiful job with the colors and the quilting, and bravo for using the metallic for the binding. It may not show up as much as it would on a different quilt, but you and the 4 yo will see it every time she uses her quilt, which will be often, probably for many years to come.

pchp 06-13-2019 08:39 AM

Nice quilt!

ekuw 06-13-2019 08:57 AM

Love, love, love that you quilted it with Baptist Fans. Great job!

MicheleC 06-13-2019 10:09 AM

Your quilt is gorgeous! How exciting that it is and will be so loved. The double batting was an excellent choice.