Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Recycled men's shirts (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/recycled-mens-shirts-t229197.html)

billswife99 08-31-2013 10:32 PM

Recycled men's shirts

2 Attachment(s)
I just finished and delivered this one. I shopped every Goodwill and Salvation Army and thrift store in the county looking for blue striped shirts in 100% cotton. I have a hard time making quilts for baby boys. I can't applique and all the cute ones require that it seems. So this is what I came up with. Simple, but I like the way it turned out. I only used the front panel on the shirts so now I will have to come up with more ideas to use up the rest. It was cheaper at most places than buying yardage. The XL shirts have lots of fabric!! I may have to start looking at other used clothing in the future! Oh and it's super soft due to the fact the shirts have been washed so many times!

Akweiland 08-31-2013 10:47 PM

It's beautiful!

oksewglad 08-31-2013 10:56 PM

I love this little quilt--looks so soft and cuddly. Thanks for sharing.
I saved my FIL's shirts after his death. My 9 yo GD and I made a quilt from some of them and gave it to my SIL for a memory quilt--backed it with flannel. She loved it. GD made the 4P units and I sewed the sashings on. Then we tied the quilt together. GD was the one to "gift" it to SIL. A special moment for both of them.

A disappearing 9P or 4P would make really nice quilts from these fabrics--IMHO.

Lilrain 09-01-2013 12:44 AM

Very nice. I do look a cotton clothing, if the fabric is near new I may just buy it and use it. Some are real treasures

quiltingloulou 09-01-2013 02:09 AM

I love this quilt, so clean and refreshing. I have been sitting here this morning unpicking some of the shirts I got from a thrift shop. They are great.

Radiana 09-01-2013 02:46 AM

It's perfect for a baby boy, great idea.

andifar 09-01-2013 03:13 AM

Beautiful Quilt!

Originally Posted by billswife99 (Post 6266922)
I just finished and delivered this one. I shopped every Goodwill and Salvation Army and thrift store in the county looking for blue striped shirts in 100% cotton. I have a hard time making quilts for baby boys. I can't applique and all the cute ones require that it seems. So this is what I came up with. Simple, but I like the way it turned out. I only used the front panel on the shirts so now I will have to come up with more ideas to use up the rest. It was cheaper at most places than buying yardage. The XL shirts have lots of fabric!! I may have to start looking at other used clothing in the future! Oh and it's super soft due to the fact the shirts have been washed so many times!

Check out Bonnie Hunter's website - Quiltville.com. She has super uses for all of the shirt yardage you now have.

ArtsyOne 09-01-2013 03:23 AM

Absolutely lovely! I'll be looking at the men's shirts at Goodwill now.

sustraley 09-01-2013 03:27 AM

Great idea and so cute.

mawluv 09-01-2013 03:28 AM

Totally AWESOME!!! Way to go, girl!!!