Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Refurbished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/refurbished-t296938.html)

fatsewcat 05-14-2018 06:41 PM

Refurbished

4 Attachment(s)
So, I was asked it I could “fix” this quilt. It was made by an elderly lady with failing vision and dementia. I will say that I have seen her work before she got to this project and she definitely knew what she was doing but in this case her health got the better of her. Beautiful intention but not a usable quilt. It was quite an untaking but one I am so glad I was a part of. I learned some things as I took apart this piece of history. The quilt was machine pieced and hand quilted which I will say made it easier to rip apart but some the fabrics were fragile (mainly the original background fabric) and could not be salvaged. I took the blocks apart one by one and kept them in their original grouping but did not put them back in their original order or layout due not being able to see the entire quilt in my go-to photo (before). After remaking a usuable template and trimming all the blocks to the same size (the originals were not ...but most were close) I only had four overall pieces that couldn’t be reused. Not to shabby for what I was working with and not knowing what I was getting into when I started this endeavor.

Long story short. Here is the before and after of the quilt and one of the fixed blocks. I have one last border to add before quilting and giving it back to its intended owner.

Thanks for looking.

Mariposa 05-14-2018 06:52 PM

Beautifully done! A lovely transformation.

marilynr 05-14-2018 07:40 PM

You did a fantastic job; it turned out beautifully.

Teddybear Lady 05-14-2018 08:03 PM

You did a wonderful job in saving this quilt. Looks great!

bearisgray 05-14-2018 08:09 PM

You did an awesome job! and I know it was a lot of work to get it to look great!

Anniedeb 05-14-2018 08:33 PM

Fabulous job! I'm betting your version is what her vision of her quilt was. Great for you to take it to that level.

Jennifer23 05-14-2018 08:39 PM

Wow - this is amazing! You did an incredible job, and showed far more patience than I could. That "after" block has such a perfect centre, I had to look really closely to convince myself it was real and not Photoshopped! Your sashing and little cornerstones give it a very modern feel, which I love.

You should be incredibly proud of this quilt; I hope the recipient appreciates it!

sewbizgirl 05-14-2018 08:43 PM

Wow... you put in a ton of time and effort. I would have just used it as a dog quilt. Your finished product is just beautiful. Thank goodness the fabrics were salvageable.

djmat 05-14-2018 11:21 PM

Thanks for posting this "repair". It looks wonderful. You inspire me to "repair" one I inherited that only needs new binding but I've put it off for years, shame on me!

Moira in N.E. England 05-15-2018 12:18 AM

You have done a fantastic job - well done!