Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Rescue Quilt #2 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rescue-quilt-2-a-t140185.html)

Julie in WA 07-25-2011 11:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I found this treasure at an estate sale this weeked, rumpled in a ball on a shelf. It was ten minutes from closing, and I figured if I didn't take it home, it would end up in the dumpster. I paid $4 for it.

It is completely hand-appliqued and assembled. I am not sure why three of the blocks were cut from the backing, or why the nine squares were cut from one another and from the borders. It makes me sad.

The applique is reminiscent of Hawaiian applique, done in a calico. The stitches are beautifully executed, very neat and even. I am impressed with the makers expertise!

I have no idea how to go about re-assembling this one. Any suggestions?

One block...24 square!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231603[/ATTACH]

The border shows fabric discoloration.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]231604[/ATTACH]

Rosyhf 07-25-2011 11:34 AM

Wow, what a nice find..

janell2009 07-25-2011 11:35 AM

oh wow how beautiful... what a find. I hope some advanced quilters can help you out... I would not want to give you advice on it... but glad you saved it from the trash

alikat110 07-25-2011 11:38 AM

The great rescue!!! Great job

PaperPrincess 07-25-2011 11:47 AM

I would just reassemble the 6 complete blocks, and reattach the border, using a white on white for narrow sashing if necessary. You would need to cut 2 of the border strips down and futz with the applique a bit but it should be do able. i would reserve the 3 that were cut from the backing. Maybe re applique (just leave the white margin & raw edge applique) and made a runner or wall hanging. I

feline fanatic 07-25-2011 11:50 AM

If I were to hazard a guess about this tops history, it looks to me like someone was going to try to restore/repair it. I suspect something happened to the background fabric of the 3 cutaway blocks, maybe something spilled or stained it or maybe a mouse got into it and ruined it. Because all the units were together like that someone, somewhere along the line had hopes of repairing the damage. At the time the intact blocks and the border were salvagable and they were probably just going to re-applique the 3 motifs to new background squares, reassemble the top and maybe even turn it into a quilt. How much history we can imagine with this poor thing and all the good intentions the various makers had for this quilt. I say go through with it. Re-applique those units on to new background squares and reassemble it and sandwich and quilt it. This poor thing has been through so much and deserves to become the quilt it was always destined to be.

oldswimmer 07-25-2011 11:55 AM

You know, you could just put 6 blocks together in a wall hanging quilt. You could also use the ones that were cut "out" and frame them in wood frames and hang them. It would be beautiful. You could get a new fabric to put behind them, or maybe some black mat board. Would make a nice statement hanging.....just another thought.

caliquocat 07-25-2011 12:00 PM

You can do it! It can become a pretty quilt given a chance. Looks like someone spilled bleach on the border. Perhaps you could find some blue fabric close to the original color to replace that discolored section. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Jim 07-25-2011 03:02 PM

I think that I would cut all the blocks out like the 3 that are already cut out...I would then applique them all onto a good backing fabric..possibly even do the borders the same way to get rid of the discoloration fabric

blueangel 07-25-2011 03:55 PM

Nice find