Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Rescued another quilt... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rescued-another-quilt-t288764.html)

madamekelly 06-05-2017 12:29 PM

Rescued another quilt...

2 Attachment(s)
I went to an estate sale in my neighborhood yesterday and found out that the owner was a prolific quilter I had never met. The display of quilts was stunning. All very nicely displayed, and had appropriate pricing. As I turned away from the display, I noticed one quilt was under the table in a box, kind of wadded as opposed to folded. I reached down to pull it out since I noticed the "sun bonnet girl" in one square. The lady working at the estate sale said "you don't want that ugly thing, it was her first ever quilt." I spread it out and looked at it, and decided to rescue it. The lady actually said "if you want it, I will let you have it for $15"! I nearly sprained an arm paying for it before she changed her mind.

Here is my new, hand made, obviously a first, quilt. It reminds me of my first couple quilts I made before I knew what I was doing, and knowing it was her first, makes it all that much more special to me. I took a second look at her other quilts and know she took the time to learn better methods, better color/batting choices, and how to really quilt and bind a quilt. Today I am going to see if I can find out the lady's name and put a label on it (I actually have a small piece of one fabric that will match perfectly). I have never seen this particular pattern before with the sunbonnet ladies sitting down. I do think that the ruffled pantaloons, and hand embroidery shows how hard she worked on this beauty. When I find her name, I will call it ____'s quilt.

Diannia 06-05-2017 12:37 PM

What a beautiful quilt and lovely story! Bless you for rescuing it!!!! Wonderful save!!

madamekelly 06-05-2017 12:38 PM

Do any of you have any idea of the year it might have been made? To me it looks like an 1980's era because all of the fabric is tiny calicos. The background on each square is a polyblend that has begun to pill badly. She only bound two ends by sewing the binding on using the blanket stitch only. That took some time and ingenuity.

cathyvv 06-05-2017 01:57 PM

People who don't quilt don't understand...nothing more I can say about that.

QuiltnNan 06-05-2017 02:10 PM

love the red lady

twinkie 06-05-2017 02:17 PM

What a beautiful quilt. You are a lucky person and I know this quilter is smiling down from quilters heaven because you salvaged her masterpiece.

ptquilts 06-05-2017 02:17 PM

I recognize a lot of those fabrics.. great save!

bearisgray 06-05-2017 02:25 PM

It is a sweet quilt.

Jingle 06-05-2017 07:55 PM

Beautiful quilt I am glad you rescued it.

minibarn 06-05-2017 07:58 PM

So sad that the lady working the sale didn't find value in that quilt too. Glad you rescued it, I really like it and she obviously worked hard on it. Can't help w/dating it, sorry.