Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   rocky road to kansas (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/rocky-road-kansas-t2516.html)

nanabirdmo 09-29-2007 02:11 PM

thanks so much for the kind words. the blocks were string pieced on a muslin base and to keep the weight of the material the same, i decided that the pieced border should also be on muslin. the corner is a separate block on a muslin base, also. then after they are pieced i do the final trim before applying to the quilt.

nanabirdmo 09-29-2007 02:13 PM

thanks so much for the compliments. i too love the traditional scrappy look.

nanabirdmo 09-29-2007 02:14 PM

a lady in our little town did the quilting for me. she is great.

Cathe 09-29-2007 04:02 PM

It looks great!!!

Joan 09-29-2007 04:04 PM

Really, really pretty! And, I have to agree with the comments about the photos. Taking a picture that captures the true colors of a quilt and shows-off the pattern, too, is a challenge for me.

nanabirdmo 09-29-2007 04:47 PM

thank you. it is a challenge for me too. thank goodness for digitals. i take about a dozen pics to get 1 good one. my camera is old and i have found that i only ever get good light out in the sun. maybe santa will
bring me a new gazillion mega pixal camera for xmas. i have been a very good girl :D

amma 09-29-2007 05:05 PM

Beautiful quilt, all the colors are wonderful :D I really do like the pattern, Eleanor Burns is one of my favorites :D

Pam Pollock 09-29-2007 05:38 PM

Beautiful job! Nice colors & borders. I like it a lot!!! :D Would you clarify what string piecing on a muslin base is? I'm left guessing on that one but would like to be enlightened. I haven't been quilting all that long. I've been sewing since I was about 8 or 9 years old...but fairly new to quilting. :lol: Thanks! Pam

the blocks were string pieced on a muslin base and to keep the weight of the material the same, i decided that the pieced border should also be on muslin.

nanabirdmo 09-29-2007 06:17 PM

string piecing is sort of like paper piecing but more free form. cut the muslin into the shape of the finished block or portion of the block that you want to have the "string" effect, plus seam allowances. then just sew strips, or "strings" of fabric of random widths, doesn't even have to be straight, til the base is covered. then just flip it over and trim along the edge of the base material to trim away the excess of the oversized strings.
traditionally the base could have been just some left over or ugly material, or even paper which can be torn away as in paper piecing.
because of the added weight, most of these quilts are machine quilted or tied. would be pretty hard to hand quilt i would think.
this is a great way to make a dent in that scrap pile. i try not to pay much attention to color or patterns, except not to put identical strings together.
there is a really good Rodale book, THE QUILTERS ULTIMATE VISUAL GUIDE, that explains this method. i use this book a lot for reference on almost every aspect of quilting.
sorry to go on and on, but i love quilting as an art form and i get carried away. it is so nice to have this forum. i learn new things every time i visit. you all are the best.

Pam Pollock 09-29-2007 07:07 PM

THANKS NANABIRDMO!!! That was a great discription of the string piecing process & It helped me visualize it. I saved your description to a computer file & I also wrote down the name of the book you mentioned in my "book wish list". Now I need to go back & stare at your quilt photo again & see if I can see some of the freeform style you mentioned. I don't think you had a close up photo section of the quilt did you? Thanks again! Appreciated you sharing your knowledge! This is lots of fun! :D
Pam

string piecing is sort of like paper piecing but more free form.