Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   The Ruffle Experiment (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/ruffle-experiment-t260009.html)

maryb119 01-20-2015 08:49 AM

The Ruffle Experiment

4 Attachment(s)
This quilt is hot off the long arm. I used a 40 piece jelly roll sewn together end for end to make this quilt. I wanted it a little larger so I added a 2 1/2 inch strip of 'solid' batik purple every 5 strips of the jelly roll. The strip lengths are cut at 66 inches and then recut to even them up after they are sewn together. Then, I used my serger to edge stitch a longer 2 1/2 inch strip to gather for the ruffle and sewed it on the solid purple. Then, I added the inner border (a 1 1/2 inch border) and then a 4 inch border of the same batik print I used for the ruffles. Sorry, there is no pattern but it finishes at 68 X 75 inches...a nice throw size. When I quilted it, I stitched each strip and also a straight stitch right down the middle of the ruffle. It really helps it to fluff up like a ruffle should. It was quick and easy to make. I will hand stitch the binding down while watching TV. I just couldn't wait to share the pictures!

BerninaGirl 01-20-2015 08:53 AM

Very pretty thanks for sharing the pictures!

Bluebonnets 01-20-2015 08:57 AM

Very pretty! Love the colors.

feline fanatic 01-20-2015 09:51 AM

What a neat idea and really jazzes up your jelly roll race quilt. I will be interested to hear how the ruffle holds up after washing. I really like the look of this as you pictured it here. What did you use to edge the strip of ruffle fabric? Looks like a solid light purple?

barny 01-20-2015 09:54 AM

I love it. You have come up with a very good idea. Good for you.

FabStripper 01-20-2015 09:57 AM

Did you sew all of the strips together and then cut at 66 inches long? I was a little confused by that part. This is such a pretty quilt. I like the ruffle!

grammysharon 01-20-2015 10:29 AM

The ruffles are a cool idea!! Works great with this quilt pattern!

newbee3 01-20-2015 10:32 AM

VERY CUTE great way to make use of the ruffler

maryb119 01-20-2015 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 7055979)
What a neat idea and really jazzes up your jelly roll race quilt. I will be interested to hear how the ruffle holds up after washing. I really like the look of this as you pictured it here. What did you use to edge the strip of ruffle fabric? Looks like a solid light purple?

I used my serger narrow rolled hem stitch to edge stitch the ruffles. The ruffles are just one layer of batik fabric edge stitched and gathered in the middle and stitched to the purple strip under it. Then when I quilted it, I stitched over the center stitching thru the batting and the backing. I'm sure it will be fine after washing. I prewash all the fabrics before I use them. The narrow rolled hem will prevent it from fraying. It was fun to make.

maryb119 01-20-2015 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by FabStripper (Post 7055987)
Did you sew all of the strips together and then cut at 66 inches long? I was a little confused by that part. This is such a pretty quilt. I like the ruffle!

Yes, I sewed all the strips together and then cut them into 66 inch lengths. Then I sewed them together with 5 strips from the jelly roll and then one 2 1/2 inch strip of the solid purple. After that was all done, I added the ruffles on the solid strip. The ruffles are 2 1/2 inches wide with a narrow rolled hem done on my serger. It is a quick and easy way to hem a ruffle.