Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Scrappy recycled shirts/bedding quilt number 2 finished (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/scrappy-recycled-shirts-bedding-quilt-number-2-finished-t244165.html)

marsharini 03-30-2014 05:03 AM

Great quilt. What one might consider a "handsome" quilt.

quiltsRfun 03-30-2014 05:07 AM

What a great challenge. Love your quilt.

hudgoddess 03-30-2014 05:13 AM

Design, fabric choice, a great eye for appropriate quilting design. All more important than the money you spent on the fabric! Good for you! You just make beautiful quilts. With or without expensive fabric!

Billi 03-30-2014 05:45 AM

Another example of a beautiful quilt using what is easily available to you.

You and your quilts are very inspiring, I am going to start combing through thrift stores and my family's goodwill donation bags more carefully. You have me so interested in this my family better watch what goes into the laundry room it may end up in my sewing room instead. :-)

justflyingin 03-30-2014 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Billi (Post 6651629)
Another example of a beautiful quilt using what is easily available to you.

You and your quilts are very inspiring, I am going to start combing through thrift stores and my family's goodwill donation bags more carefully. You have me so interested in this my family better watch what goes into the laundry room it may end up in my sewing room instead. :-)

I'm laughing.

I've done that...and my husband is wearing a shirt that I told him that after he gets tired of it, I won't allow him to keep it for his rags as I want it. I actually bought it for me to use in this quest, but when he said he would like it (a "Timberline" brand) and just the type of rugged/nice quality shirt he likes, I of course, let him have it. The same when my son has spotted a couple shirts he liked. They get first choice if they want to use them for clothing, of course.

Thanks for the nice comments.

I didn't only pay $1 for the sheet. The navy sheet was about $7. I have to sometimes pay a pretty penny for sheets at thrift stores. And sometimes a flat sheet or a duvet cover cost the same. Their pricing seems a bit random at times.

And only some shirts are once in a while so inexpensive. However, I have a feeling it is plenty to keep me busy for a long, long time. I picked up 27 shirts on Sat. for 27 zlotys. That is under $10! Even the poor could afford that--esp. if they only spent a few zlotys at a time--27 shirts is a very large bag full.

But this is going to be a fun project for me, I think.

Kathy T. 03-30-2014 06:04 AM

You are doing remarkable things with your locally-available fabrics. That was an inspired decision to use the dark sheet. The result is awesome!

justflyingin 03-30-2014 06:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by BrendaK (Post 6651499)
Beautiful. How large are the blocks? What did you use for batting? This quilt looks so puffy. BrendaK

Here is my batting:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469391[/ATTACH]

These blocks are cut 3.5" x 6.5" (the shirtings), and the strips on each side were cut 1.5" wide. It made a 6.5" square when put together.

It is super simple, but I think the result is impressive. The on point squares I've shown before.

The layout on EQ 6 looked like this:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]469393[/ATTACH]

If I had to do this one over again, I would do something different with the corner squares. However, it may be awhile til I have a navy sheet like that again, so I'm on to another top to finish this week, hopefully.

DebraK 03-30-2014 06:11 AM

awesome use of materials and design.

MaryMo 03-30-2014 06:19 AM

totally outstanding quilt .... just love it! Inspiring me to do some recycling of my own. thanks for sharing....

PenniF 03-30-2014 06:26 AM

Another great success !!! LOVE your choice of patterns for these shirt quilts. You are really flying along !! Looking forward to seeing what's next. PS....assuming that's a wolf puzzle in the background....love that too.:)