Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Scraps Getting Organized! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/scraps-getting-organized-t23483.html)

Roben 07-30-2009 12:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I promised myself that I would go a little deeper in organizing my sewing room this week, since it will make my busy sewing life easier in the upcoming weeks. Today's project was trying to get a handle on organizing my scraps.

These containers are called Magic Drawers; I *think* they were ordered off of QVC or HSN several years ago. I finally got around to taking them out of the box, and I think they're going to work out great for organizing pre-cut scraps (like the batting I was cutting down.) One can be taken out without the whole stack falling down. I make a lot of things with 2.5" strips, so I have a bin of those divided between lights and darks. I have a bin for leftover blocks waiting for a new home, and one for partial blocks (like HSTs.) I even have all my leftover binding in one place 8) I have a boxful that still needs to be cut, but it's a start!

My goal was to have them handy so I'd be more inclined to organize scraps as I go, and to keep them visible so I can be reminded that I need to get a scrappy project going. This bookcase sits immediately to the right of my sewing table, so no more excuses, right?! :?

This setup has a fairly small footprint: 25" wide x 20" tall x 16" deep
[ATTACH=CONFIG]42129[/ATTACH]

Lacelady 07-30-2009 01:34 PM

Great set up, anything that encourages us to put things in the 'right' place is a good thing. Well done for getting organised. Now, are you going to be coming in the direction of Ireland any time soon, I need organising.

Jim's Gem 07-30-2009 01:38 PM

Looks nice and neat and organized.

Bevanger 07-30-2009 01:54 PM

Looks great kiddo

Kyiav10 07-30-2009 02:08 PM

I am jealous!! I need to get organized.

Kyia

quiltluvr 07-30-2009 04:58 PM

I'm a bit on the obsessive/compulsive type side. I LOVE to organize, anything, doesn't matter. I'm currently rethinking how to store my scrap bits. Right now their in piles all over my sewing table as I throw together scrappy placemat size tops. I have a few ideas which direction to go tho'.

Your system looks very nice. I like that the containers are totally clear so you can really see what's in them. You waited for just the right moment and place to use and it works so well. Nice picture!

tlrnhi 07-30-2009 05:00 PM

Looks great!
Now, come help me get mine organized!

Shemjo 07-30-2009 05:02 PM

Your system looks really nice. Anything that can help me get organized is wonderful! Will have to look into that. Clear cases are the key here! Keep up the good work! I get obsessed with organizing and don't get any quilting done! :(

amma 07-30-2009 05:20 PM

Looks very nice, great organization, too :D :D :D

MollieSue 07-30-2009 07:07 PM

Looks great!!! :thumbup: I need to do something like that!

I have an overflowing basket under my table I just throw the scraps in, and my sewing table is covered with 2.5 strips as I've been working on the Sister's Choice.... All looks like a mess.