Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Seeing Double?!!!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/seeing-double-t253024.html)

Gretchen 09-04-2014 06:48 AM

Seeing Double?!!!!!

7 Attachment(s)
It's been awhile since I have posted my projects - I've been busy.... A dear friends mother had passed and I had offered to make a memory quilt, she asked if I might make one for her sister too - she offered to pay and knowing her I knew it would mean the world to her so I agreed. As we live on opposite ends of the state we coordinated a meeting for me to pick up the clothing items that she had from her mother. I was so excited when I got home, couldn't wait to open the box to see what I would be working with as I had so many visions of what quilts I could make..... to my surprise there were three fleece robes, four sweatshirts, a blue silky blouse, a quilted sweater, a knit sweater, and a green khaki winter parka!!! My hears sunk like a rock in water - not one of the many designs that I had been dreaming of making would even begin to work with these fabrics.... So below are picks of the end results! The quilts used the fabrics from the robes and the parka. There was one other item in the box and that was a fur collar from her mother's coat which my friend shared a heart warming story from when she was a little girl... I knew I had to use this but could not bring myself to cut it - s I did the next best thing ... I used it as an embellishment! Took the sweatshirts and remaining fleece scraps and created the inside lining for a wrap - now she can feel her mother's hug anytime she wishes! There was a Halloween sweatshirt that I made turned into a wall hanging, and the knit sweater into a pillow! I used fabrics from all the items with the exception of the blue silky blouse - it really clashed!!

QUILTNMO 09-04-2014 06:50 AM

they are all very nice!!nice job!!

ssnare 09-04-2014 06:52 AM

Very nicely done!

quiltstringz 09-04-2014 06:53 AM

You did a wonderful job. They will be so thrilled

mandyrose 09-04-2014 06:54 AM

your work is awesome I would never ever have thought of that, the wrap with the collar on it is one of a kind what a great idea you may have started a new style I love all of them

PaperPrincess 09-04-2014 06:55 AM

You did an AMAZING job!

Jackie Spencer 09-04-2014 07:05 AM

Oh my gosh!! I can believe the wonderful things you made from what you had to work with!!! You are amazing and so creative! They are all beautiful. I am so impressed!

Billi 09-04-2014 07:17 AM

I simply love the way you bounced back from your disappointment of not being able to use one of your original ideas and made 2 beautiful quilts a warm hug from her mom a pillows and a wall hanging......wonderful work on all of them and what treasures for your friend.

PenniF 09-04-2014 07:33 AM

How amazingly clever of you to figure out ways to make this work. All of the items are wonderful....and i'm sure your friend and her sister will treasure them.

Tartan 09-04-2014 08:11 AM

Your quilt is lovely! I think you did a remarkable job with the fabrics you were given.