Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sewing Cabinet w/hole & shelf for machine to sit in (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sewing-cabinet-w-hole-shelf-machine-sit-t43071.html)

BKrenning 04-17-2010 08:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few people asked for pictures of how my husband modified a cheap sewing cabinet I bought so that my sewing machine would sit down inside of it like the expensive cabinets.

You could also cut a hole in a table or counter top and use hanging brackets for the shelf. I have the little brass pop in shelf brackets on mine but little blocks of wood could be screwed in to hold up the mdf board shelf.

Beverly

Open cabinet showing hole & shelf
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64185[/ATTACH]

Entire front of open cabinet
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64186[/ATTACH]

Close up of little shelf holders
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64189[/ATTACH]

dkabasketlady 04-17-2010 09:09 PM

Ingenious DH, I wish mine could do something like that! I'm better off trying to learn myself,lol!!

Ladybugnana 04-17-2010 09:41 PM

i have that cabinet and never thought of that. cool idea!!!!

I go To The Sea To Breathe 04-17-2010 10:17 PM

I have that cabinet also. Now I am going to have it with a set in machine. thank you.....

KiwiQuilter 04-17-2010 10:38 PM

How very clever. What a great commonsense approach.

dakotamaid 04-18-2010 04:54 AM

How do you change your bobbin without getting down on the floor if it is sunk down in a cabinet? I have a Bernina that you change the bobbin from the front not the top.

LindaR 04-18-2010 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
How do you change your bobbin without getting down on the floor if it is sunk down in a cabinet? I have a Bernina that you change the bobbin from the front not the top.

this is a pain with a dropped machine...my old kenmore was like this and I had to lift it up everytime I wanted to change the bobbin....

nana2 04-18-2010 06:57 AM

This would also work with an old wooden table. Would have to modify how the shelf to hold machine was fitted in. Might give this a lot of though for myself. A table would be so good when working with larger quilts.

stitchinwitch 04-18-2010 07:09 AM

That is nice! 'looks like a WalMart cabinet in its original form, right? Thanks for sharing

BKrenning 04-18-2010 07:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yes, it is the Sauder cabinet from Wal-mart. My machine has a drop in bobbin so changing that is not a problem.

I saw Eleanor Burns & her son modify and old table to drop a machine with insert into but I wanted a fold up cabinet so I could push it out of the way if I ever needed to.

You would cut the hole for the specific machine or small extension table you were going to drop in. My machine with extension table was a hair too big so hubby cut the hole just for the machine. I'm attaching a picture of my favorite quilting machine.

Beverly

My Elna 7200--easy rectangle shape bottom
[ATTACH=CONFIG]64757[/ATTACH]