Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Sewing Extension Table (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/sewing-extension-table-t41371.html)

Harmony 04-02-2010 07:26 PM

Clever girl! This will undoubtedly make your sewing go much more smoothly. And it didn't cost you an arm and a leg! Well done! :thumbup:

cyniree 04-03-2010 04:28 AM

wow, I have been thinking about buying one, but yes, the price of them keeps stopping me.

Dragonfly Nana 04-03-2010 05:14 AM

ooooh I want one too! I agree the $$ and the size of the smaller ones had kept me from buying one.
Awesome job making your own.

sheliab12 04-03-2010 06:52 AM

Can you tell me what and how thick the material you bought at Lowe's

mpspeedy 04-03-2010 07:02 AM

What a clever idea. I have one of the purchased ones but my husband kindly replaced the plexglass when I broke it at one of my retreats. He is a machinist. Another wonderful advantage of the clear top is that I store my scissors, extra bobbins, my accessory case etc. etc. underneath of it. They are out of the way and I can see them at a glance just by lifting the fabric off of the surface. That doubles the use of your table surface. My husband also cut the legs off of my sewing table so that with the slide on plexglass surface the machine is just the right height to be easiest on my back and neck.

quiltsRfun 04-03-2010 07:08 AM

I'm impressed.

RedGarnet222 04-03-2010 07:26 AM

I am in awe that you made your own. Nice job and fearless!

I was checking around yesterday at U Tube and they have the video on how to cut and glue acrlyic. It was interesting and seemed pretty simple. From what I read over there you can buy the leveling legs at the hardware. I guess I whimped out, cause I ordered one from a gal a state away from me. Very reasonable .... shop.aquiltedkitchen.com She has been making them for some time and knows what she is doing. Well that's my story and I am sticking to it! But, I kind of wished I had seen your post before I shelled out the money ... LOL!

Norene B 04-03-2010 07:36 AM

What thickness of plexiglass did you use. That is great idea. My husband made me a quilt frame out of pvc pipe and round wood dowels for a railing once. Still have it.

Wine Woman 04-03-2010 08:28 AM

Good job! Doesn't it feel good that you made it all by yourself! Pat yourself on the back-girlfriend!

MarthaVA 04-03-2010 02:25 PM

Ok, to answer the questions you asked:

The glue I got a small tube at Target - I'll have to go find it and tell you the name, but it is just a tube of cement type glue. It went on white but dried clear.

The legs do not adjust - I couldn't find legs that did adjust.

The corners - I haven't actually made a large quilt on it yet - so I can't address that. I imagine the corners could be sanded down.

It doesn't shift - but again, I haven't done a large quilt on it. I did however, use heavy duty velcro. I put a piece on one edge, a separate piece on the second edge. Once that was stuck on, I cut one large piece that attaches, and connects the 2 separate pieces, so it doesn't shift.

I think I answered all the questions. I will go look at the glue and get back to you. I've been MIA the last few days and this is the first chance I had to check in! :-)

Thanks for all the comments.

O - one more thing you asked - the plexi is the only one Lowes carries that isn't flimsy. It's about a quarter inch thick I think. I will measure the one piece that is not cut and tell you the size. Give me a couple of hours.

Thanks again! (yes, I AM proud of myself for making it)

Martha in VA