Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Singer 319 in need of TLC (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/singer-319-need-tlc-t162425.html)

miriam 10-22-2011 01:45 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I've heard a lot about the Singer 319 and have been watching for one for a very long time. Well, I brought one home yesterday. I took her to my shop today and worked for a few hours. Let me introduce you.

Her home - very nice cabinet in excellent shape

her back side

down under

miriam 10-22-2011 01:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
DH examined her electric system and decided to pull it all off. Wires are bare and dangling. Not safe by any means.

we took pictures here and there so we know how she should go back together - DH also drew a diagram of how it should look for re-assembly

miriam 10-22-2011 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The top of the machines insides - she changes stitch design by flipping these levers. Well, maybe some day she will...

these go around some internal black disks - the mechanism is actually outside the machine (behind the light) The lever on the front rides the disk in the front and can be changed if you have disks

Candace 10-22-2011 01:53 PM

Mine was in the same shape and is happily sewing away now...actually yours may be in bit better condition than mine is. I have some paint chips on mine.

miriam 10-22-2011 01:54 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I used Kerosene and some Dawn to clean

just cleaning up the throat plate with an eyelash brush - I bet a pipe cleaner would work - the foot and screw and needle are already cleaned. I cleaned goo off and saved the needle since it takes an odd size

The bobbin area was VERY gummy - not a lot of lint though. I probably spent an hour cleaning this one. I was lucky this one has the bobbin case - right now for the life of me I can't remember where I put it...

miriam 10-22-2011 01:59 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I used a lot of paper towels and Dawn to clean and lots and lots of kerosene. I applied the kerosene with a brush. I kept going over and over it.

very dirty - it seems like someone must have sprayed something in there - it was coated but good. Nooks and crannies collected full of it. I losened the part that holds the shuttle in place but decided not to remove the shuttle. Since I loosened it I could clean pretty well. I turned it every direction - took a lot of time since it was VERY gunky.

mtnative 10-22-2011 02:04 PM

I am looking forward to seeing her when you have her all cleaned up and back together.

miriam 10-22-2011 02:05 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I cleaned up the bottom of the machine.

This took some time and I alternated with Dawn and kerosene - lost some bits of paint - bummer - this brown stuff was like a varnish on there

I think it is as good as it gets short of some good oil - I had to get DH home quick due to wasp sting so the rest of the clean up will wait until another time

miriam 10-22-2011 02:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I also worked on the front and top insides a little bit

I'm not exactly sure how to clean the badge with out ruining it. I cleaned around it and the stitch length. I pulled off the bobbin winder guide - it was horrid

She is clean but no motor. I should have left off the spool holder so you could see the zig zag - I think part of it is next to the foot lever. I haven't touched the top plate so it is still covered in gunk. The belt is shot.

miriam 10-22-2011 02:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oops I should have shown these before I shot the front and back...

grease pots full of hardened grease

looks a lot better cleaned out - I need to refill the pot soon

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 07:31 PM.