Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   snap happy bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/snap-happy-bag-t227492.html)

key4unc 08-08-2013 03:34 AM

snap happy bag

1 Attachment(s)
This is a small bag (10X6X3) that I made using a technique from the Snap-Happy pattern. I dont' make the entire bag with her instructions. But since the idea of using metal tape for the closure originated from this pattern, I felt like I needed to give credit where it's due. This was made with scraps I had left over from another quilt. I had enough for 2 bags but since they're identical, I'm only posting pics of one.

bjchad 08-08-2013 03:44 AM

Very attractive!

dd 08-08-2013 03:57 AM

I like the bag and was just thinking yesterday about making one. Isn't there something else you can use instead of the tape measure? I thought I saw it somewhere but can't remember what it was.

key4unc 08-08-2013 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 6221889)
I like the bag and was just thinking yesterday about making one. Isn't there something else you can use instead of the tape measure? I thought I saw it somewhere but can't remember what it was.

I haven't heard (or read) of anything you can use to replace the metal tape. The metal tape is really cheap though. I bought a 25' 1" wide metal tape measure for about $5 at the local hardware store. Since I cut at most 10" (and I need 2 for each bag), I can get 15 bags from this. If you remember what the alternative is, please let me know.

Edit: Using my favorite search engine, I found one alternative--plastic 1" mini-blind slats. I dont' know where you could buy these though. Also, make sure they'll bend without breaking. If you have a local business that specializes in custom mini-blinds, you might be able to get their discards for free. If you have to pay for it, just make sure you compare the costs. I figured the cost using the metal tape measure is about 33cents/bag. I'm sure I spend more than 33cents/bag on thread, so this is the cheapest part of the bag for me.

Misty's Mom 08-08-2013 04:15 AM

Very nice.

gabeway 08-08-2013 04:31 AM

Came out nice.

dd 08-08-2013 04:33 AM

Originally Posted by key4unc (Post 6221931)
I haven't heard (or read) of anything you can use to replace the metal tape. The metal tape is really cheap though. I bought a 25' 1" wide metal tape measure for about $5 at the local hardware store. Since I cut at most 10" (and I need 2 for each bag), I can get 15 bags from this. If you remember what the alternative is, please let me know.

Edit: Using my favorite search engine, I found one alternative--plastic 1" mini-blind slats. I dont' know where you could buy these though. Also, make sure they'll bend without breaking. If you have a local business that specializes in custom mini-blinds, you might be able to get their discards for free. If you have to pay for it, just make sure you compare the costs. I figured the cost using the metal tape measure is about 33cents/bag. I'm sure I spend more than 33cents/bag on thread, so this is the cheapest part of the bag for me.

That's what it was. I also remember thinking these mini blinds would kinda dry out after a while and break easily instead of snapping. You're right, I think the tape measure is the better way to go.

Grandma Bonnie 08-08-2013 04:41 AM

I love this little bag! You did a great job on it!

Baloonatic 08-08-2013 05:58 AM

You might want to check your local ReCycle store, mine always has a tape measure or two and really inexpensive!

MartiMorga 08-08-2013 06:12 AM

I need to make one of these! Great looking bag.