Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Snap Purse Need Help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/snap-purse-need-help-t103558.html)

tucsonquilter 02-27-2011 10:55 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I made my first snap purse and do not like the edges. Can you see the black showing on the top? I need help as to how to cover the edges inside.

Thank you,
Pat

Small SnapPurse
[ATTACH=CONFIG]127936[/ATTACH]

tmw 02-27-2011 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by tucsonquilter
I made my first snap purse and do not like the edges. Can you see the black showing on the top? I need help as to how to cover the edges ins
Pat

I've made some of these and know about those threads, open the purse and trim those threads as close as you can, and put some fray check on them and kinda mash them against the fabric, does that make sense?

tucsonquilter 02-27-2011 11:05 AM

Yes and thank you

Picklelady 02-27-2011 11:06 AM

can you tell how to load the pix?? mine won't load. thanks

Quilter7x 02-27-2011 11:08 AM

Something else that might help is to use thread that matches the top band. Then if the thread does show, it will blend in. Cute snap bag and I love the decorative stitching! :thumbup:

redhawk 02-27-2011 12:37 PM

When I sew my pieces together on these, I started on the Left side (the open end facing me) about a half inch BELOW the tape measure "snap" piece & carefully sewed UP to the top then spin the whole piece around and sewed the usual way. I repeat it for the other side and finish again about a half inch below the "snap". My way doesn't leave any fuzzy cut end knots. This may not work for others but I like it. :)

tmw 02-27-2011 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by redhawk
When I sew my pieces together on these, I started on the Left side (the open end facing me) about a half inch BELOW the tape measure "snap" piece & carefully sewed UP to the top then spin the whole piece around and sewed the usual way. I repeat it for the other side and finish again about a half inch below the "snap". My way doesn't leave any fuzzy cut end knots. This may not work for others but I like it. :)

this sounds good, i'll try it thank-you.

Love2Craft 02-27-2011 12:51 PM

I've made LOTS of those and find that if I use thread that matches the top band color. I straight stitch first starting at the bottom and back stitch at the top down to where the band begins. Then I do a zigzag stitch starting at the bottom on the band...reverse sew until you reach the top and then go forward all the way to the bottom of the bag. It's hard to get it exact but for sure you don't want any end threads at the top. Hope this helps.

Your bag is really cute!!!! Love the decorative stitching!

xraypeggy 02-27-2011 03:24 PM

Another choice is to sew the purse together on the outside rather than the inside and than make a double fold tape as though you were binding a quilt. Start at one bottom end and make a handle out of it. It takes care of your problem and also gives the ability to make it a shoulder purse.

tucsonquilter 02-27-2011 04:48 PM

Thank you everyone for the help. I am off to make another one.