Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Something old, something new and something to gift (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/something-old-something-new-something-gift-t276935.html)

EmiliasNana 03-21-2016 08:15 AM

Something old, something new and something to gift

3 Attachment(s)
I've been busy multi-tasking: finishing a wall hanging for my sewing room that was started maybe 5-6 yrs. ago, making a lap size quilt for the guest room, and making a lap quilt for an acquaintance who has been kind and generous to my mom who lives in assisted living 600 miles away in NC. I'm also in the midst of quilting a large wall hanging for our living room, but that is a different story to be told later LOL

This was from a kit from Connecting Threads called Audrey's Kitchen Table Topper and measures 51" x 51". It will hang above my sit down mid-arm in the sewing room. I made a thread catcher in the same fabric, then started on this and had everything done except the setting triangles and sewing on the borders (which were finished). Love those borders! Evidently life got in the way and I forgot about it......shame on me. There is lots of open space for quilting, so it will be put in the queue once again LOL
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545522[/ATTACH]
Here is another kit that I had never started. The pattern is from Mount Redoubt Designs, entitled French Essence. Another blue and yellow for the guest room. It measures 52" x 68" and the border will be scalloped once the quilting is done, a new challenge for me. The backing is the medium blue frost. Applique was fused and done with a blanket stitch.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545523[/ATTACH]
Last is a wall hanging/lap quilt that I am making for a nephew of a friend of my Mom's. When he takes his aunt out for dinner, or has her to his house, he invites (and pays) for Mom. My Mom has dementia and I'm sure she would be embarrassed if she knew she never remembers to offer to pay for her meal. God Bless her. He asks for nothing in return, but I wanted to show my appreciation more than the occasional thank you note he gets from me. He is a contractor, about my age, but lives in the Carolinas, so my first thought was black bears LOL Here is the pattern I decided on: Bear Country from the book, Spirit of the Northwoods by Debbie Field for Granola Girl Designs. It measures 49" x 65" and will be backed by a forest green/cream gingham check flannel. Applique was fused and done with a blanket stitch, which was a real challenge with all the peaks and valleys of the pine boughs! I tried to do it in sections to eliminate turning the entire quilt under the needle and was pretty successful except when it came time to extend them into the borders. Then the quilt had to be totally assembled and the final boughs completed.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]545524[/ATTACH]
Let me know your thoughts on quilting this one!

Monale 03-21-2016 08:32 AM

Love all three of these! Sorry, I'm not really good with quilting ideas...

quiltingcandy 03-21-2016 08:38 AM

I love them all. But your bear quilt is my favorite. I am not creative in my quilting but so many folks here are, so you will be given some expert advice soon.

needles3thread 03-21-2016 08:41 AM

All three are terrific.

QuiltnNan 03-21-2016 08:44 AM

very pretty and nicely done

Jingle 03-21-2016 08:53 AM

All are beautiful. No quilting ideas.

lynnie 03-21-2016 12:48 PM

all three are so beautiful, excellent work on these!

BrendaK 03-21-2016 01:29 PM

All three are excellent. BrendaK

weasier22 03-21-2016 01:37 PM

WOW ... all are so beautiful! Love blue & yellow! Great job done on all.

JuneBillie 03-21-2016 02:04 PM

Three beautiful quilts. :)