Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   A Spring Runner... despite the snow! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/spring-runner-despite-snow-t5777.html)

Izy 03-31-2008 09:53 AM

Mamgus, I think I am having a really serious 'senior' on my own planet moment - not sure but when you say 11/2" 'square' add to the 2.5" square - do you mean 1.5" triangle??? or am I missing something sorry!! :?

kathy 03-31-2008 10:03 AM

Izy, I'll bet it was a square when she sewed it on (cause they're easier to fit) then when you sew on the diaginal and cut off the excess you have a tiny triangle. (us seniors gotta stick together)

Cordelia 03-31-2008 10:05 AM

Hey there! That's really COOL! I'd love to make that in baby pastel colors or a crib quilt.

I have always been wanting to make a crib quilt!

But, I can't figure our how you made those squares with that teeny little corner on them.

Did you cut a 1 1/5 inch square and line it up on the corner and sew it on and fold it over like you sort of do with flying geese?

My new motto, when it doubt, paper piece.

Mamagus 03-31-2008 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Izy
Mamgus, I think I am having a really serious 'senior' on my own planet moment - not sure but when you say 11/2" 'square' add to the 2.5" square - do you mean 1.5" triangle??? or am I missing something sorry!! :?

I am a big fan of NOT working with triangles. SO I use the "diagonal corners" trick and uses squares, sew across the diagonal and trim off the little pieces that you don't need. REALLY useful for 1.5" squares. They are so tiny, no one in their right mind would be sane after trying to work with the triangles that size. By lining up a square to a square and sewing diagonally it eliminates the guess work of where to sew.

HEre's how it would look: take a small square and line it up on a bigger square, sides even with the larger square's side. Sew diagonally across the smaller square. Snip and toss the tiny triangle piece that you don't need. Press and you're on your way to doing the pinwheel puzzle!!

Mamagus 03-31-2008 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by Cordelia
Hey there! That's really COOL! I'd love to make that in baby pastel colors or a crib quilt.

I have always been wanting to make a crib quilt!

But, I can't figure our how you made those squares with that teeny little corner on them.

Did you cut a 1 1/5 inch square and line it up on the corner and sew it on and fold it over like you sort of do with flying geese?

My new motto, when it doubt, paper piece.

Yes exactly like the flying geese, but the square is one and one-half inch. 1.5.

My sister LOVES paper piecing and I love rotary cutting and using the method I just described above.

This pattern would be absolutely stunning for a baby quilt! But I'd go with a bigger pinwheel size. Keeping that many pin wheels straight would boggle me!

Izy 03-31-2008 10:49 AM

Thanks mamagus, now I get the picture....sorry for being abit slow!! lol!!!!! :) :) Can't you tell that I am new to all this.....tee hee!!

Cordelia 03-31-2008 11:36 AM

Yeah, I see what you mean. I would enlarge the size blocks a bit. But, I think I understand.

Thanks. I'm working it out in my program.

Kyiav10 03-31-2008 03:26 PM

Beautiful runner.

Kyia

Cordelia 03-31-2008 03:35 PM

An update on my progress trying to lay out a crib quilt with those puzzle pieces:

NOT GOING SO GOOD.

:lol:

sandpat 03-31-2008 03:43 PM

How cute! I love the pattern and you did a great job with it!