Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Pictures (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/)
-   -   Springtime Tote Bag (https://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/springtime-tote-bag-t40177.html)

JoAnnGC 03-21-2010 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by belmer
very nice... I think I need to attempt to make a bag, I have so many bright fats that I need to make a couple of them.

They are so much fun to make and you get that element of instant gratification because they don't take as long to make as a quilt. The diversion helps to refresh my creativity especially when I am between larger quilting projects or when I just need to get myself going again.

n2scraplvr 03-21-2010 05:57 PM

The bag is adorable and since you are creative with your fabrics I would go for a $60 price tag bottom line. Then you could afford to put costlier fabrics in for an expensive looking bag for $75. Then another one that offers matching garage door opener case, secret pockets, etc. Giving them a choice and price range would suit your customers better. Good luck with your sales! :D :D

jewelps 03-21-2010 07:19 PM

sew cute

zz-pd 03-21-2010 08:52 PM

I think if you can afford the spa, you could afford $40 for such a beautiful bag. you go girl. :D Penny

patchwork patty 03-22-2010 07:26 AM

I love Morgan's tote bag. Could you please tell me what fabric collection you used?

Patchwork Patty

Charleen DiSante 03-22-2010 07:40 AM

I love it too! And, am wondering how to come up with a price for something like this. Thanks for sharing!

aberi 03-22-2010 08:26 AM

Love the colours ... nice work!

Rainbow 03-22-2010 09:53 AM

LOVELY !!! Like mentioned, you will know RIGHT OFF if the price is too high.

Would LOVE the pattern. How do you stiffen the sides??

JoAnnGC 03-22-2010 11:23 AM

Thanks very much to all for so many nice compliments. In answer to some of the questions...

I didn't work from a pattern. I bought a lot of FQs at my local Hancock Fabrics store. They are on sale for $.99 each so I really went wild. Unfortunately I don't know what manufacturer/collection these are from because they are marketed as Design by the Piece Singles and are already trimmed of their selvedges before they are folded. I do know that many textile companies are included in the FQ section and that they are packaged by Fabric Editions LLC. The FQs sold at Hancocks do not match the fabric they sell by the yard. I know some of the FQs I found there are actually made by Moda and Blank Textiles. I wish I could identify them so that I could buy more by the yard but at this price FQs are just fine and just the right size for this project. Anyway, I had lots of fun mixing and matching regardless of the origins and then just started cutting and constructing. I used Pellon 808 Craft Fuse to give the bag a bit of body. It's all straight stitching and the inside is fully lined with pockets and a matching fabric-covered removable base. The bottom corners are tucked in, squared off and stitched both on the outer section and on the lining so they disappear. The yoyo flower button closure echoed the whimsical floral prints and helped to incorporate all of the main colors. There really are no rules. I just kind of made it up as I went along. It appears that I'll be making quite a few of these so I'll keep posting pics of them as I get them completed. Also, as a variation or if you don't like the moderate stiffness of the fusible interfacing, you may use batting and quilting instead. You should probably expect the first one to take longer to come together but like anything else the more you make the faster they go. Lots of fun! Thanks again!

Oklahoma Suzie 03-22-2010 01:17 PM

cute